Gluten-free, no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars, ready in 20 minutes! Made without graham cracker crumbs or confectioner's sugar, these are a healthier version of your old favourite peanut butter bars with chocolate!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
This quick and easy recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars will satisfy your chocolate cravings!
Some things, like peanut butter and chocolate, just seem to be designed to be together. Or even better, peanut butter and salted chocolate. And these two combine perfectly in these no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars.
This popular combination finds its way into many of my sweet treat recipes, like
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Squares
- Grain-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Bars
With a flavour similar to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, this is a healthier version of that old favourite. These no-bake dark chocolate peanut butter bars are made without grains. They're sweetened with pure maple syrup instead of confectioner's sugar!
And if you prefer almond butter, try these Chocolate Hazelnut Almond Butter Bars instead!
🛒 Ingredients and substitutions
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. But before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about some of the key ingredients.
- almonds: you'll grind these in a food processor or blender
- coconut, unsweetened shredded
- pure maple syrup: for natural sweetness
- coconut oil, melted
- pure vanilla extract
- sea salt: you'll add a small amount to the base.
- flaky sea salt, like Fleur de Sel for sprinkling on top of the chocolate
- natural peanut butter
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this recipe perfectly. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
These chocolate peanut butter bars are easy to whip up in a food processor.
Combine all the base ingredients (everything except the chocolate and flaky sea salt) and press firmly into a baking pan.
Chill the bars while you melt the chocolate. Spread it on top of the base, sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt and return the baking pan to the refrigerator to set.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Adding a teaspoon of melted coconut oil to the chocolate makes it easier to slice without cracking the top. Scoring the top with a knife before it has completely set also helps.
And if a few of them do crack . . . well, you know what to do with those! Remember to add the best part: a little Fleur de Sel (flaky sea salt) on top!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Slice into small squares or slice into slightly larger squares and then slice in half to make triangles. An unexpected shape, for a change!
⏰ Storage Instructions
To store: Store these peanut butter bars in the fridge in a covered container. They'll last for a week or more.
To freeze: For longer storage, store with a sheet of parchment paper between layers in an airtight container for 3 months or longer.
🗒 More recipes for gluten-free cookies and bars
When you make this recipe for no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
This recipe was originally published in 2015. It has been updated to make it more helpful. The recipe remains the same.
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
For the base
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup coconut, unsweetened shredded
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 cups chocolate chips, or 12 oz (340 gm) baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- flaky sea salt for garnish (optional)
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Put almonds in food processor and pulse until very finely chopped
- Add the remaining base ingredients and pulse until very well combined.
- Spread evenly in the baking dish, pressing down firmly.
- Refrigerate or freeze while melting the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate over, not in, hot water. Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil to make it easier to slice without cracking the top.
- Remove pan from refrigerator and spread the chocolate topping evenly over the base. Sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt. Return to the fridge to set, but score the chocolate before it has completely set to prevent cracking the chocolate when you slice the squares. If you forget this step, try warming a knife in hot water before slicing.