Are you tired of your usual breakfast? Switch up your routine and make these overnight oats. Five topping ideas!
Overnight oats are a Meal Prep Win!
I like my morning smoothies, and an occasional avocado bacon and egg breakfast, but sometimes routines just become boring. This week, however, I fell in love with breakfast all over again. I hadn’t made overnight oatmeal for years, likely because my mornings are more relaxed now that I’m no longer rushing out of the house to work. But I suddenly remembered how much I used to like having my little breakfast-in-a-jar ready for me every morning.
If you haven’t made overnight oats for a while, here are the easy instructions and five ideas for toppings.
The sky is the limit for add-ins. Just top your base of rolled oats, the milk of your choice, and chia seeds with different fruit and nut combinations. Add nuts just before serving so they keep their crunch.
Overnight Oats Topping Ideas
- Strawberry-Banana with Chopped Walnuts
- Mixed Berry with Hemp Seeds
- Pineapple Coconut
- Pineapple Orange with Flaked Almonds
- Chunky Monkey
Sometimes I eat them cold, straight from the jar, and on other days I transfer them to a small pot to heat gently, or heat them in a microwave. If I warm them up, I like to add a bit more milk to make them creamier.
How long will Overnight Oats last?
I find these will last for up to five days in the fridge. Make a batch on a Sunday afternoon and look forward to breakfast all week long!
- mixed berries: raspberry,, blueberry, strawberry
- strawberry,, banana, walnuts
- pineapple,, orange, almond flakes
- pineapple,, coconut
- Chunky Monkey: almond butter, banana, dark chocolate chunks, or peanut butter
- Measure oats, milk, chia seeds, maple syrup and salt into 8 oz. jars. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add toppings of your choice, except nuts. Cover tightly with a lid. Refrigerate overnight.
- Either mix and eat cold straight from the jar or transfer to bowl, add a little more milk and reheat in microwave.
Like meal-prepping your breakfasts? Try these Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal Cups too!