This Springtime Potato Salad is made with baby potatoes, fresh chives, capers, dill, Dijon, and a light, creamy lemon-tahini dressing. It's mayo-free and vegan, too!
Classic potato salad made with hard-boiled eggs, pickles, celery and mayonnaise is a traditional picnic food that many of us grew up with. But it's great to have choices!
This Springtime Potato Salad with a simple lemon tahini dressing provides a lighter alternative. Tender potatoes, salty capers, dill and a generous handful of fresh chives all tossed together with a light creamy dressing make a satisfying vegan substitute for a traditional potato salad.
And finally, garnish this mayo-free potato salad with chive flowers--just for fun!
As this post goes live, I'll be in the air over the Atlantic heading to Europe! This time we'll be spending most of our time in Italy. I absolutely cannot wait to return to some of our favourite spots and discover new ones. And the food! Nothing compares to the way the Italians can create simple rustic dishes with fresh local ingredients. I'm looking forward to some warm spring sunshine, those rolling hills in Tuscany, the vibrant green panoramas of Umbria and the spectacular cliffs of the Amalfi Coast.
I'm leaving you with this light lemony springtime potato salad. Baby potatoes, a light lemony dressing, and fresh baby chives--all ideal ingredients for a spring salad. Those tiny ones multi-coloured potatoes are fun to eat and quick and easy to cook.
Lemon Tahini Dressing is a 5-minute blender recipe!
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy.
You'll likely have some of the Lemon Tahini Dressing leftover. It's delicious on asparagus! Try it on other roasted vegetables too.
How to Make Mayo-Free Potato Salad
- First, boil baby potatoes until fork tender, remove from heat, drain and let cool
- Next, transfer the cooled potatoes to a medium bowl. Toss with capers, dill, Dijon mustard and two tablespoons of lemon tahini dressing.
- Garnish with fresh snipped chives or green onions and chive blossoms, if available.
- Finally, sprinkle with a little sea salt and chill until serving time.
You might also like this other mayo-free Potato Salad with Pickled Shallots. It's bursting with flavour with chives, capers, grainy mustard and, of course, pickled shallots!
Springtime Potato Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes, scrubbed
- ¼ cup capers
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup sesame tahini
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- dried chili flakes for sprinkling (optional)
- 1 or 2 tbsp fresh chives, snipped
- chive flowers, for garnish
- Put baby potatoes in a pot and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until fork tender. Remove from heat, drain and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the Lemon Tahini Dressing: mix ingredients in a mini food processor or blender.
- Transfer cooled potatoes to a medium bowl. Toss with capers, dill, Dijon mustard and 2 Tablespoons of the lemon tahini dressing. Garnish with fresh snipped chives or green onions and chive blossoms, if available. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and chill until serving time.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.