This Springtime Potato Salad is made with baby potatoes, fresh chives, capers, dill, Dijon, and a light, creamy lemon-tahini dressing. It's mayo-free and vegan, too!
This Springtime Potato Salad with a simple lemon tahini dressing is light and lemony! Tender potatoes, salty capers, dill and a generous handful of fresh chives all tossed together with a light creamy dressing make a satisfying vegan substitute for a traditional potato salad.
Classic potato salad made with hard-boiled eggs, pickles, celery and mayonnaise is a traditional picnic food that many of us grew up with. But it's great to have choices!
Garnish this mayo-free potato salad with chive flowers if you have some--just for fun!
This is a light, lemony springtime potato salad recipe. Baby potatoes, a lemony dressing, and fresh baby chives--all ideal ingredients for a spring salad. Those tiny multi-coloured potatoes are fun to eat and quick and easy to cook.
You'll need about 1.5 pounds of baby potatoes, capers, dill, Dijon mustard and a little salt.
Lemon Tahini Dressing is a 5-minute blender recipe!
To make this tahini dressing, you'll need sesame tahini, a lemon, garlic, olive oil, fresh chives and (optional) dried chilli flakes.
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy.
You'll likely have some of the Lemon Tahini Dressing leftover. It's delicious on asparagus! Try it on other roasted vegetables too.
How to Make Mayo-Free Potato Salad
- First, boil baby potatoes until fork-tender, remove from heat, drain and let cool
- Next, transfer the cooled potatoes to a medium bowl. Toss with capers, dill, Dijon mustard and two tablespoons of lemon tahini dressing.
- Garnish with fresh snipped chives or green onions and chive blossoms, if available.
- Finally, sprinkle with a little sea salt and chill until serving time.
You might also like this other mayo-free Italian Potato Salad with Pickled Shallots. It's bursting with flavour with chives, capers, grainy mustard and, of course, pickled shallots!
Springtime Potato Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes, scrubbed
- ¼ cup capers
- 2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup sesame tahini
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon warm water
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- dried chili flakes for sprinkling (optional)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- chive flowers, for garnish
- Put baby potatoes in a pot and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until fork tender. Remove from heat, drain and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the Lemon Tahini Dressing: mix ingredients in a mini food processor or blender.
- Transfer cooled potatoes to a medium bowl. Toss with capers, dill, Dijon mustard and 2 Tablespoons of the lemon tahini dressing. Garnish with fresh snipped chives or green onions and chive blossoms, if available. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and chill until serving time.
Leave a comment