This whipped goat cheese sesame flatbread with za'atar is topped with warm cheese and sprinkled with seeds and herbs. It makes a satisfying lunch for one or a pre-dinner snack when shared with friends!
Here's my take on an iconic Lebanese snack: Whipped Goat Cheese Sesame Flatbread with Za'atar. Soft warm bread with crispy edges, creamy cheese, a heady spice mix, sesame seeds and fresh herbs make this a delicious way to begin a great evening!
While you'll usually only find gluten-free recipes on this site, I occasionally like to include recipes for my friends who can eat wheat. This one was a hit! (Update! Gluten-free flatbread is now widely available.)
Crisp Flatbread with Za'atar is an easy starter
- Use store-bought artisan thin crust flatbread to keep things easy.
- Top it with my favourite whipped lemon goat cheese and heat the bread under the broiler just long enough to soften the cheese and crisp the edges of the bread.
- Add basil leaves for last few seconds of cooking, just to wilt them.
- After removing it from the oven, add a sprinkle or two of Za'atar, a robust Middle Eastern mix of spices, seeds, and herbs, just to keep it interesting.
- Toasted sesame seeds added extra flavour and provide a nutty crunch in this recipe.
- Finish it off by tossing on a few more fresh basil leaves just before serving because . . . basil.
I haven't used Za'atar spice mix very often, but I really do like it and plan to add it to more recipes. While you could easily make your own spice mix, I bought a pre-made mix. Za'atar mix combines oregano, sumac, cumin, thyme, sesame, salt and pepper.
Did you know that sesame seeds are a good source of calcium?
They're also loaded with several other essential minerals and vitamins like magnesium, iron, phosphorus, and selenium. They're an excellent source of fiber, too. They add flavour and crunch to this tasty appetizer.
This crispy flatbread with za'atar makes a great starter, and it makes a satisfying lunch too. It's quick and easy, especially if you have the whipped goat cheese mixture ready and waiting for you in the fridge!
Whipped Goat Cheese Sesame Flatbread with Za'atar
- 2 thin crust baked flatbread loaves
- 3.5 oz goat cheese (100 gm)
- 2 oz low fat cream cheese (57 gm)
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp Za'atar spice mix
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Combine goat cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice and lemon zest in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Toast sesame seeds in a skillet over medium heat until just starting to turn brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on both pieces of flatbread. Heat under the broiler for 3 minutes or until edges are crispy and cheese is warm. Add half the basil leaves and heat for 30 - 60 seconds more, sjust so they wilt slightly. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and za'atar spice mix and top with remaining fresh basil leaves. Slice into triangles and serve warm.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.