This gluten-free strawberry banana bread recipe is made with almond flour! Topped with a tangy lemon glaze, this almond flour strawberry banana bread recipe is perfect for those with gluten sensitivities or anyone looking for a tasty twist on classic banana bread.
A delicious coffee-time snack, this strawberry banana bread also makes a great addition to a breakfast buffet or brunch!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- You don't need to be following a gluten-free diet to enjoy a slice of this strawberry banana bread! Studded with strawberries, it's absolutely delicious!
- Like many of my gluten-free muffin and quick bread recipes, it's made with a winning combination of almond flour and tapioca flour. It has a moist texture and a tender crumb.
- It's a simple recipe that follows a traditional method of whisking dry ingredients, mixing wet ingredients, then combining the two before gently folding in the berries. Easy-peasy!
- While this is an ideal quick bread to make when local strawberries are at their peak, there's no need to wait until strawberry season. Organic strawberries are available almost year-round!
While it's a similar bread to this Gluten-free Strawberry Lemon Loaf, this one is made with bananas as well. You may also like this Grain-Free Blueberry Banana Bread--definitely a favourite in my home and with my readers!
🛒 Ingredients and substitutions
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. But before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about the ingredients.
- fresh strawberries: Fresh naturally sweet strawberries add lots of delicious flavour to this loaf. Dice them finely.
- mashed bananas: Use very ripe, in fact, the riper the better! You'll need 3 small or 2 large bananas. Measure 1 cup after you mash them.
- eggs: Eggs need to be at room temperature so they'll combine properly with the other ingredients. Take them out of the fridge before you start preparing this recipe so they have a chance to come to room temperature.
- sweetener: You can use any granulated sweetener like white sugar, coconut sugar or brown sugar, or monkfruit with erythritol. Since this recipe uses ripe sweet bananas, you only need ⅓ cup of sweetener!
- melted coconut oil: cold-pressed, unrefined. You can sub with butter if you like.
- pure vanilla extract
- almond flour: finely ground. I use either Bob's Red Mill or the Kirkland brand to keep this banana bread gluten-free.
- tapioca flour: Tapioca flour helps bind the ingredients and gives these muffins a great texture with a little chew.
- lemon zest: adds a lot of flavour to this quick bread. While it is one more step, it's so worth it!
- baking powder, baking soda, salt
- optional glaze: lemon juice and confectioner's sugar or powdered Monkfruit sweetener.
🔪 How to make the best almond flour strawberry banana bread
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this recipe perfectly. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Mash the bananas, leaving a few lumps. Be sure to measure 1 cup after you have mashed them. Dice the strawberries into very small pieces (less than ½ inch.)
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl and the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Gently stir in lemon zest and diced strawberries.
- Transfer the batter to a lined loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out completely clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Baking time will depend on the type of loaf pan you have used.
- Drizzle with lemon glaze once the loaf is completely cool.
🔁 Possible Variations
Make chocolate chip strawberry banana bread! Add ¼ cup of chocolate chips to the batter when you stir in the strawberries. Use dairy-free chocolate chips to keep this recipe free of dairy products.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Be sure to line your loaf pan with parchment paper. Let the sides hang over to allow for easy removal once the loaf is baked.
This recipe makes a moist loaf. Be sure to bake it until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out completely clean.
You may have used too much mashed banana. It's important to measure after you have mashed them.
Banana bread and muffins need very ripe bananas for the best results. Not only are they naturally sweeter, but they're also soft, so they combine easily with the other ingredients. Banana bread made with underripe bananas lacks that "banana bread" flavour we love!
However, bananas can become too ripe for baking. If your overripe bananas show any signs of mold or if they smell like they have fermented, it may be time to add them to your compost. Toss them out if they show signs of leaking fluid, too.
You'll find lots of recipes here to use up those precious spotty bananas!
Try these healthy banana recipes, too:
Almond Flour Banana Streusel Muffins: tender muffins with a crunchy topping.
Healthy Zucchini Banana Muffins: These healthy muffins are both gluten-free and dairy-free.
Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies: Soft and sweet with chocolate chips in every bite!
Gluten-Free Banana Coffee Cake with Maple Walnut Streusel: Light and moist, this cake makes a delicious snack or dessert.
Almond Flour Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting: Special enough for a birthday cupcake and healthy enough as a breakfast muffin!
It's best to use fresh strawberries in this recipe, as frozen strawberries will make this bread too moist.
🍽 When to serve strawberry banana bread
Perfect for a coffee-time snack, this easy strawberry banana loaf also makes a delicious addition to a Spring brunch. Try it for Easter Brunch or for Mother's Day. Serve with a few extra fresh strawberries on the side!
⏰ Storage Instructions
Store this almond flour strawberry banana bread in a covered container, lined with a sheet of paper towel both underneath and on top. It's best stored in the fridge. For longer storage, you may want to freeze it.
For more information about the best way to store quick bread, see this article from the Kitchn, The Best Way to Store Muffins and Quick Breads.
This banana bread with strawberries freezes well. It will last in the freezer for 3 months or more when stored in an airtight container. I like to slice the loaf and wrap the slices individually in plastic wrap for freezer storage.
🗒 More recipes for gluten-free loaves and muffins
When you make this recipe for banana bread with strawberries, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup mashed bananas, from 2 large or 3 small bananas
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, or brown sugar, coconut sugar, (or Monkfruit 0-calorie sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or butter, melted)
- 1 teaspoon, pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups blanched almond flour, finely ground
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup strawberries, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar, or 0-calorie powdered Monkfruit sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, letting the ends hang over to make the loaf easy to remove once baked.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas (measure after mashing), eggs, sweetener, coconut oil and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine until there are no pockets of flour remaining.
- Gently stir in finely diced strawberries and lemon zest. Reserve a few strawberries to arrange on top of the batter.
- Spread the batter in the lined loaf pan. Arrange the remaining strawberries on top, pressing them into the batter gently.
- Bake at 350° F. for 50 - 55 minutes or until loaf has reached an internal temperature of 200°F to 205°F. when measured with an instant-read thermometer, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Combine lemon juice and confectioner's sugar for a glaze, if desired.
- Cool the loaf in the pan for 20 - 30 minutes, then lift the parchment paper to transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely. Once completely cook drizzle with lemon glaze.
- Store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.