Wondering what to do with extra zucchini? Full of chocolate flavour and studded with chocolate chips, these Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are a great way to use summer squash!
Zucchini season is upon us in full force. What better way to enjoy it than with a Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffin? Or two!
I love the texture zucchini gives baked goods. While it keeps them moist and tender, it doesn't impart any strong zucchini flavour. It simply, and very kindly, contributes all its nutritious benefits to a lowly muffin!
Helpful tips for making Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour in this recipe. I've tried many gluten-free flour blends in the last few years, but I have had the most success with this one. It contains xanthan gum, so you don't need to add it yourself.
- I lowered the sugar content a little by using a using half coconut sugar (with a lower glycemic index) and half granulated sugar.
- Adding a little Greek yogurt to the batter along with baking soda helps the muffins to rise and improves the texture.
- Throughly drain the grated zucchini by squeezing it in cheesecloth or a clean tea towel to prevent the muffins from being soggy.
- Stir the chocolate chips into the batter, but save a few to press into the top of the muffins before baking.
These Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are easy to bake.
Follow a standard muffin method for success every time. Whisk the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, add the shredded, drained zucchini and yogurt and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips, saving a few to press into the top of each muffin.
Bake, cool slightly and add a slather of butter, if you like!
More gluten-free muffin recipes!
Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix
- 1 1/5 tsp xanthan gum * only use if your GF flour mix doesn't contain xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light oil or light olive oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 cups grated zucchini, drained* see note below
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips* save some to press into muffin tops before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with culinary paper liners.
- Whisk gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (if using), salt, baking soda and cocoa in a medium bowl.
- Mix oil, both sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl or in the bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until fluffy. Gently stir in yogurt and grated and drained zucchini. Stir dry ingredients into batter just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, saving some to press into the tops of the muffins before baking.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350°F for 18 - 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and remove paper liners.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.