Top thin slices of toasted baguette with whipped blue cheese, slices of crisp pear, a sprinkle of lemon zest and a drizzle of honey to make these tasty Blue Cheese Crostini appetizers.
These Blue Cheese and Pear Crostini appetizers will likely be a hit with your blue cheese fans at your next party! They’re crisp and creamy, sweet and salty, all in one little bite.
When I’m having an appetizer or tapas party, I like to serve lots of choices. Ever since traveling in Spain and bar-hopping from one tapas bar to the next, serving small bites and finger foods has been my favourite way to entertain. My friends can pick and choose what they like and eat a little, or eat a lot!
This blue cheese and pear crostini appetizer has always been a favourite. Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients for Blue Cheese Crostini with Pears
- a baguette: see my notes below for how to toast the baguette slices
- one or two pears: I used a red pear and a firm green D’Anjou pear, just for the contrast in colour
- blue cheese: your favourite brand
- cream cheese: regular or low-fat
- lemon zest: and a little squeeze of lemon juice
How to assemble blue cheese and honeyed pear crostini
- First, combine equal amounts of blue cheese and cream cheese. A mini food processor works well for this job.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon zest, a squeeze (a teaspoon or so) of lemon juice, and a tablespoon of honey and pulse, just until smooth. Don’t overblend, or your cheese mixture will turn blue!
- Spread a tablespoon of the cheese mixture on a slice of toasted baguette, add two thin slices of crisp winter pears or Asian pears, sprinkle with a little freshly grated lemon zest, drizzle with honey and arrange on a serving tray.
- Guaranteed to be met with enthusiasm!
Add finely chopped toasted nuts, like hazelnuts, almonds, pecans or walnuts.
Looking for more crostini ideas? Check this collection:
Blue Cheese Crostini with Crisp Honeyed Pear
Whipped Blue Cheese Spread
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 baguette
- 2 tbsp olive oil for brushing baguette slices
- 1 pear like Anjou or Bosc
- 2 tbsp lemon zest finely grated, for garnish
- honey for drizzling on top
- Heat oven to 375°F. Slice baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices, brush both sides lightly with olive oil, place on a baking sheet. Bake for 7 - 8 minutes, turning once half way through until golden brown but still tender in the middle.
- Top each slice with 1 tablespoon of Whipped Blue Cheese Spread, two thin slices of pear, a sprinkle of lemon zest and a drizzle of honey. Serve.
This recipe was originally posted in 2016. It has been updated with new photos and instructions.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.