Roasted Butternut squash with sage and pepitas is an easy way to take your favourite squash from simple to sublime! Toasted sage and pumpkin seeds add warm fall flavours to this easy squash side dish. Vegan, Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Butternut Squash is probably the most well-liked squash variety and it's always welcome at a holiday dinner. This side dish of butternut squash with toasted sage and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) is a snap to make, yet those two simple additions add complexity to this dish, heighten its rich buttery flavour and put it over the top.
I often use toasted sage leaves as a garnish for soup, but this was the first (but not last) time I had tossed them into a vegetable dish. Crispy sage, crunchy pumpkin seeds, and creamy butternut--so simple, but so tasty!
Here's your short list of ingredients!
- peeled, cubed butternut squash
- olive oil for tossing the squash
- sea salt
- butter or oil for toasting the sage leaves and pumpkin seeds
- fresh sage leaves
- pumpkin seeds
You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below.
- Toss cubes of peeled butternut squash with a little olive oil and sea salt.
- Transfer to a pre-heated baking sheet and spread out so the cubes are not touching each other. In this way, they'll get crispy instead of cooking in their own steam.
- Flip halfway through the cooking time, then garnish with the toasted sage leaves and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve to your appreciative friends and family!
And if you're looking for more ways to serve butternut squash, try these recipes too.
More delicious Butternut Squash recipes
- Maple Dijon Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash with Fresh Rosemary and Lime
- Chili Garlic Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Orange
Butternut Squash with Toasted Sage and Pumpkin Seeds
- 4 cups peeled cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon butter or oil
- 12 leaves sage
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and cut the squash into ¾ inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, toss squash with extra-virgin olive oil and salt.
- Heat a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove and transfer squash cubes to the hot baking sheet, spreading out so they are not touching each other (so they'll get crispy edges).
- Roast for 10 minutes, flip over and roast for 10 minutes more, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter, Add sage leaves and stir for 2-3 minutes, add pumpkin seeds and heat until they begin to turn colour. Remove from heat as they will continue to cook in the pan.
- Transfer squash to a serving dish and garnish with toasted sage leaves and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.