Zesty flavour from ginger and orange adds interest and puts this Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Orange in a league of its own. Dairy-free!
This Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Orange juice is warm, smooth and silky. It has a zesty flavour from freshly grated ginger and orange juice that makes it far more interesting than ordinary butternut squash soup. It’s dairy-free too.
Saturday’s farmer’s market was overflowing with squash, and I couldn’t resist, even though I already had a bag full of gigantic heads of cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, apples, pears and more. I was in a soup mood, browsing the stalls and planning . . . cauliflower soup, tomato basil soup, carrot-ginger soup, good old chicken soup and well, I just had to add butternut squash soup with ginger to that list of mine.
I often make squash soup with a tart Granny Smith apple, or even with lemongrass and coconut milk, but this time I added the juice of half an orange and some fresh ginger. A garnish of crispy fried shallots provided the sought-after crunch.
First, cut the squash into cubes and roast it in the oven while you sauté onions and garlic. Then, add the roasted cubes to the soup pot along with ginger, orange juice and broth. Simmer to allow the flavours to blend, then purée in a blender until velvety smooth. Finally, use the same skillet to quickly sauté thin slices of shallot to add a crispy garnish and serve.
This soup freezes well. I often make a double batch of this recipe, pour it into Mason jars and freeze it for winter lunches. Serve it with the Super Seedy Snack Crackers, pictured above. They’re packed full of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and chia seeds with a little nutritional yeast added in for extra flavour.
- 1 2 - 3 lb medium butternut squash, peeled seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil or other high temperature oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 i-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 an orange)
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth (for vegan), or chicken broth
- sea salt and ground pepper
Pre-heat oven to 400°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut the squash in half. Remove the seeds. Chop into 1-inch cubes.
- Put in a large bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil. Spread out on the baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, saute onion in oil in a large pot until transparent but not browned. Add the chopped garlic to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the squash is tender, add to the pot along with the ginger, orange juice and broth. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and puree until as smooth as velvet. You may have to do this in 2 batches, depending on the size of your blender container.
- Serve, topped with crispy shallots and fresh thyme, or with toasted pumpkin seeds.
You might like these other soup recipes, too:
8 Comforting Homemade Dairy-Free Soup Recipes
If you like this recipe for Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Orange, please pin it or share it!