Make these quick pickled shallots with apple cider vinegar and store in the fridge for months! Use on salads, a frittata, avocado toast, tacos, and more!
Pickled shallots add a wealth of flavour to whatever you choose to serve them with!
Last week I made a snack board to serve with my Seafood Chowder, so that my guests could choose their own breads, spreads, veggies and dips. It was my version of a soup and sandwich meal.
I considered making pickled onions to add to the assortment, but I like to caramelize onions to bring out their flavour.
Shallots seemed a better choice. Pickling shallots helps to tame their strong flavour, but it keeps them crisp, crunchy and delicious!
This recipe for pickled shallots is quick and easy. There’s no need to wait to enjoy them.
As soon as they’re cool, you can add them to crostini appetizers, stuff them into tacos or tostadas, pop a few on top of avocado toast, add them to sandwiches, open-faced burgers, or even enjoy them on top of a frittata for brunch!
Not only that, they last for months in the refrigerator!
MAKING REFRIGERATOR PICKLED SHALLOTS IS QUICK AND EASY!
- First, fill a jar with sliced shallots.
- Next, make a brine with water, vinegar, sugar and pepper and bring it to a boil on the stove top.
- Pour the brine into the filled jar so that all shallots are completely covered.
- Let cool completely, seal, then store in the refrigerator.
That’s it! So simple. Your pickled shallots will be ready to eat as soon as they’re cool. The flavour will increase over time.
WAYS TO VARY THIS RECIPE
You can change the flavour of these pickled shallots simply by varying the type of vinegar or by adding different herbs or spices. I used whole peppercorns, but feel free to dry different add-ins.
- If you want the shallots for an Asian dish, try using rice vinegar instead.
- Use equal parts of apple cider vinegar and white wine vinegar.
- Add a few cracked coriander seeds for a flavour burst.
- Try a pinch of dried chili flakes for a little extra heat
Quick Refrigerator Pickled ShallotsMake these quick Refrigerator Pickled Shallots to use on salads, burgers, sandwiches, tacos and more!Print Pin RatePrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 5 minutesTotal Time: 10 minutesServings: 16 tablespoonsCalories: 15kcal
- 5 - 6 medium shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar, or honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Sterilize a small jar by washing with hot soapy water, thoroughly rinsing, then filling with boiling water. Let stand, then dry with a clean cloth.
- Fill the jar with thinly sliced shallots.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and pour into the jar of shallots, covering them completely. Add peppercorns to the jar.
- Let cool, then cover with a lid and refrigerate.
NutritionCalories: 15kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 44mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.2mgTried this recipe?Share a photo on INSTAGRAM and tag it #flavourandsavour! I love seeing what you've made.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.