This Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is tender, moist and free of grains and dairy products. It’s sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar. You’d never guess it’s grain-free! Paleo.
When I discovered Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour recently, I knew my world had changed. After receiving great reviews of my addictive Pumpkin Pecan Caramel Coffee Cake, I couldn’t wait to adapt this recipe with other fruit. This gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake came out of the oven and was an immediate hit.
Who would have guessed that simply using finely ground almond flour would make such an incredible difference in baked goods?
This warm spiced cake is tender and moist. It’s filled with tiny apple chunks and topped with a sweet crunchy walnut crumble. If you’re looking for a simple coffee cake or dessert for a cozy fall or winter day, this is one to consider.
My brother texted me last week, asking if I had Mom’s recipe for apple cake. I dug out her old recipe book and finally found her recipe for what she called Baked Apple Pudding. Jotted on a scrap of paper in her beautiful cursive handwriting, it featured white sugar, all-purpose flour and butter. I set out to try to make a healthier, grain-free version of this delicious cake, and this Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake was the result.
This snack cake is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, coconut sugar and applesauce. I used one of the Jonathan apples that our friends with an apple tree had shared with us.
This cake is just sweet enough for morning coffee time. Adding a glaze or drizzling it with caramel sauce or serving it with ice cream would easily transform it into a drool-worthy dessert.
Gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the walnut crumble topping first. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and applesauce. Stir well.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the finely ground almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the apples.
- Spread in prepared pan. Top with walnut crumble.
- Bake at 325°F. for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Drizzle with a simple glaze made by combining 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, if desired. Good, but not essential. The cake is delicious with or without the drizzle.
Love coffee cake? Try these ones too!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.