Made with oat flour, this moist gluten-free Spiced Applesauce Cake is flavoured with warm spices! It's topped with apple slices and has optional additions of dried cranberries and pecans. Serve this as a coffee cake for brunch or top with whipped cream or whipped coconut milk and enjoy for dessert.
This gluten-free Spiced Applesauce Cake is bound to improve your mood and lift your spirits, even if you're perfectly happy! Who doesn't love the smell of warm apples and cinnamon wafting through the house?
Whether you serve it as an applesauce coffee cake or as an apple dessert cake, you'll love the flavour and texture of this healthy cake. Serve it plain or top slices with whipped cream or whipped coconut milk for a spectacular dessert!
This gluten-free Spiced Applesauce Cake recipe is a favourite of ours year-round. It's easy to make and we love the texture.
This Spiced Applesauce Cake is made with
- butter (or melted and cooled coconut oil)
- unsweetened applesauce (homemade or store-bought)
- oat flour (certified gluten-free, if necessary)
- warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- sweetener: coconut sugar, brown sugar or keep it sugar-free by using Golden Monkfruit sweetener with erythritol.
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this gluten-free apple cake. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below.
- Combine the wet ingredients in one bowl and whisk the dry ingredients in another.
- Combine the two, then add the cranberries and chopped pecans.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Spread the batter in a lined springform pan, then arrange thin slices of apple in a concentric pattern on top.
- Bake, cool, then enjoy plain or with whipped cream or whipped coconut milk.
🔁 Possible variations
- Keep this spiced applesauce cake nut-free by leaving out the pecans.
- Substitute raisins for the dried cranberries.
- Keep it dairy-free by using coconut oil instead of butter. Make sure you have cooled the melted coconut oil. It works best when the other ingredients are at room temperature. If the eggs are cold, for example, the coconut oil tends to harden quickly. If this happens, stir vigorously to combine it.
🥶 Storage and freezing instructions
Store leftovers in a covered container on the counter or in the fridge. For longer storage, I like to wrap individual slices in plastic wrap, place in a covered container and freeze for up to 3 months. For more information, see The Best Way to Store Any Cake.
🗒 More gluten-free apple desserts
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Gluten-free Spiced Applesauce Cake
- ½ cup butter, melted or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup Golden Monkfruit sweetener or coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced for decorating the top of the cake
- 1 - 2 tsp lemon juice
- whipped cream or whipped coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Oil the sides of the pan.
- Peel and core an apple. Slice into very thin slices, about ⅛th inch thick. Toss with a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar together, then add eggs, vanilla and applesauce.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients. Stir in chopped pecans and cranberries until no spots of flour remain.
- Transfer to the prepared springform pan, smoothing the batter to the edges.
- Drain the lemon juice from the apple slices. Arrange them in a concentric pattern on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350°F. for 40 - 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then carefully release the spring from the pan. Remove and transfer cake to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- When completely cool, garnish with a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar and serve with whipped cream or whipped coconut milk.