This Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is tender, moist, grain-free and dairy-free! Made with almond flour and coconut flour, it's sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar. It has the best crunchy streusel topping! You'd never guess this healthy paleo apple coffee cake is gluten-free!
If you love coffee cake and the aroma of warm cinnamon apples wafting through your kitchen, and if the idea of a tender apple coffee cake with a crunchy streusel topping appeals, then this gluten-free apple cinnamon coffee cake recipe is for you!
However, after receiving rave reviews for my addictive Pumpkin Pecan Caramel Coffee Cake, I couldn't wait to adapt that recipe with other fruit. Using finely ground almond flour makes the best coffee cake recipes! This apple cinnamon coffee cake came out of the oven and was an immediate hit.
Who would have guessed that simply using almond flour would make such an incredible difference in baked goods?
❤️ Why this recipe works
This warm cinnamon apple cake is tender and moist. It's filled with tiny apple chunks and topped with a sweet crunchy streusel topping. It's almost like an apple crumble! If you're looking for healthy apple coffee cake recipes for a cozy fall or winter day, stop searching now.
This apple cake with crumble topping is one to consider!
It's ideal for your morning coffee break, but it's also a welcome indulgence for breakfast or dessert.
My brother texted me last week, asking if I had Mom's recipe for apple cake. I dug out her old recipe book and was excited to find her recipe for Baked Apple Cake. Jotted on a scrap of paper in her beautiful cursive handwriting, I was disappointed, however, to find that it featured white sugar, all-purpose flour and butter!
I set out to make a grain-free healthy version of this apple cake, and this dairy-free, flourless apple coffee cake with maple walnut crumble topping was the delicious result.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients in the recipe card below. Here are a few notes about some of the ingredients and possible substitutions that I've tested.
for the coffee cake
- melted coconut oil: you can also use butter, or grass-fed butter for a Paleo diet
- sweeteners: this recipe uses a combination of maple syrup and coconut sugar. You can substitute brown sugar for coconut sugar if you'd like.
- applesauce: unsweetened
- flour: a combination of almond flour and coconut flour gives this coffee cake a tender, moist texture
- apples: add finely chopped, peeled apples for more tasty apple flavour and moisture. If you don't like chunks of apples, you can add grated apples instead.
for the Walnut Streusel Crumble topping
- You'll combine a small amount of coconut flour with coconut (or brown) sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil and cinnamon. Add chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds for a crunchy streusel topping.
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
You'll find complete instructions and notes in the recipe card below.
- Start by making the walnut streusel topping and set it aside.
- Next, combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat until smooth.
- Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently fold in the chopped apples.
- Spread evenly in a prepared baking pan top with streusel topping and bake.
- Let the cake cool completely. If you'd like, you can drizzle it with a simple glaze made by combining ½ cup powdered sugar with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, Good, but not essential. The cake is delicious with or without the drizzle.
This gluten-free apple streusel cake is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, coconut sugar and applesauce. I used one of the Jonathan apples that our friends with an apple tree had shared with us, but any sweet, firm apple variety will work beautifully. While many apple cake recipes call for Granny Smith apples, I find using a sweet variety works best in this recipe, as the cake is not overly sweet.
Yes! This cake freezes well. Wrap it tightly and freeze it for up to three months.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This cake is just sweet enough for morning coffee time. Adding a glaze or drizzling it with caramel sauce or serving it with ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, however, easily transforms it into a drool-worthy dessert.
🥶Storage and Freezing Instructions
Cover any leftover cake tightly or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to three months.
This post has been updated with new information and photos to make it more helpful. The recipe remains the same.
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup applesauce, at room temperature
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup almond flour, finely ground
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup apples, peeled and finely chopped (or grated)
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the walnut crumble topping first. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and applesauce. Stir well.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the finely ground almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the apples.
- Spread in prepared pan. Top with walnut crumble.
- Bake at 325°F. for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Drizzle with a simple glaze made by combining ½ cup powdered sugar with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, if desired. Good, but not essential. The cake is delicious with or without the drizzle.