These healthy Gluten-free Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are sweetened with coconut sugar, dried cherries and chocolate chips. Soft and chewy!
If it feels like it’s going to be a cookie-baking day in your home, may I suggest these wholesome Gluten-Free Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies?
They’re sweet, but not too sweet. They’re soft and chewy. And they’re a perfect treat when you want a small bite of something to satisfy that sugar craving. Above all, they’re gluten-free! There’s no need to deny yourself a cookie just because you can’t have gluten in your diet!
And if you’re cutting back on sugary sweets but finding it hard to do so, a small cookie made with low-glycemic coconut sugar may your answer. Instead of indulging in a large piece of cake or gooey dessert, have a healthy oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips and cherries to satisfy that sweet tooth!
These cookies have a hint of almond flavouring which complements the cherries and chocolate. Cherries and chocolate are a favourite flavour combination that I use often. Try this Gluten-free Cherry Chocolate Skillet Cookie, these Chocolate Cherry Chia Oatmeal Bars, Chocolate Cherry Almond Energy Bites, or Chocolate Cherry Bliss Balls. They’re all delicious and best of all, they’re all gluten-free!
Let’s make a quick batch of healthy oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips!
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Cherry Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- rolled oats: use certified gluten-free rolled oats, if necessary
- oat flour: make it yourself by grinding rolled oats in a blender. Measure the oat flour AFTER you grind the oats, not before
- coconut sugar: has a lower-glycemic index than regular sugar so it won’t spike your blood sugar in the same way. It also has a flavour similar to brown sugar. I reduced the sugar in this recipe. I found that the dried cherries and chocolate added plenty of sweetness.
- butter: softened
- pure almond extract: almond flavouring is delicious with cherries and chocolate. However, you can use vanilla if you prefer
- egg: at room temperature
- baking soda
- sea salt
- dried cherries: chop them with a knife into smaller pieces
- chocolate chips: your choice. Enjoy Life brand is gluten-free and dairy-free, Lily’s are stevia-sweetened
Got 20 minutes? Here are the easy instructions.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream the softened butter and coconut sugar with an electric mixer. Add the almond extract and egg and beat until well combined.
- Combine the oat flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the creamed mixture until well combined.
- By hand, stir in the chopped dried cherries and chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop (or drop by tablespoonfuls) on to baking sheets. Flatten slightly. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven, let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 – 10 minutes, then cool completely on a cooling rack.
Can I freeze these Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies?
These cookies freeze beautifully.
Tip: If you don’t want to bake the whole batch, freeze half the dough in a tightly covered container. Then thaw, scoop and bake as usual when you’re in the mood for a warm cookie, fresh from the oven!
More Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookie recipe ideas
- Gluten-free Apple Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
- Gluten-Free Cherry Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cookies
- Cranberry Pecan White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Make a batch today for lunches or afternoon snacks. Enjoy, everyone!
Gluten Free Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour certified gluten-free, if necessary*
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats certified gluten-free, if necessary
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixture until fluffy. Add almond extract and egg and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine oat flour, oats, baking soda, and salt.
- And to creamed mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in chopped dried cherries.
- Use a cookie scoop or drop by tablespoonfuls on to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Kitchen Items I used to make these Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.