Healthy Quinoa Chocolate Bark, packed full of superfoods like quinoa, chia, hemp, and pepitas!
If you love chocolate as much as I do, I’m sure you’ll love this quinoa chocolate bark with chia! It’s a healthier option than the chocolate barks I usually make. It’s chock full of superfoods, like quinoa, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, hemp and chia. Not only that, its crunchy nature makes it deliciously addictive.
Chocolate bark is the go-to after dinner sweet treat I often make for a dinner party when I’ve run out of time. I can create it in just a few minutes and I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like to end a meal with a piece of chocolate.
This is a simple two-part recipe. Mix quinoa, nuts and seeds (use your favourites or whatever you have on hand) together with maple syrup (or honey) and coconut oil, spread in a thin layer and bake in the oven. While it’s baking, melt and temper some quality dark chocolate. Once it comes out of the oven, spread the chocolate on top, sprinkle with a little fleur de sel and chill in the refrigerator. Break into pieces once it has set and enjoy!
Healthy Quinoa Chocolate Bark
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt, plus more for sprinkling on chocolate
- 1 cup dried quinoa, a pre-rinsed brand *
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 12 oz dark chocolate, melted and tempered
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, stir maple syrup and coconut oil until oil has melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together quinoa, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and optional espresso powder. Add maple syrup mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Watch carefully and remove from oven if edges are beginning to brown too quickly.
- Meanwhile, melt 3/4 of the chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Once melted, remove from heat and add the remaining chocolate pieces. Stir until completely melted.
- Spread over baked quinoa mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or freeze for 15 minutes) until chocolate has set. Break into pieces. Store extra in the refrigerator or freezer.
I adapted this recipe from Tieghan’s beautiful blog, Half Baked Harvest.