This Salted Dark Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark could be the perfect ending to your romantic date night dinner. Only 4 ingredients needed for this chocolate bark!
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, I’ve updated this popular chocolate bark recipe!
Is there anything that goes together better than chocolate and red wine?
Well . . . maybe chocolate and almonds and red wine.
Or chocolate and almonds with orange zest and a sprinkle of sea salt!
And that’s all you need for a perfect ending to a meal. As our family has reduced (or almost eliminated) sugar from our diet, I’ve discovered a simple truth: the less sugar I have, the less I crave. Filling our plates with a variety of veggies and high-quality protein reduces the desire to have something sweet and sugary for dessert.
I do, however, love a piece of dark chocolate after dinner. This Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark is something to look forward to throughout a meal. It can be made quickly before dinner, popped into the freezer, and will be ready in time for dessert.
You only need 4 ingredients to make Chocolate- Orange Almond Bark
- dark chocolate: use a high quality chocolate with at least 60% cocoa content, preferably 70 – 85%.
- almonds: blanched or unblanched. You will toast them to increase their flavour.
- orange zest: from an organic orange that you have thoroughly washed
- flaky sea salt: like Fleur de Sel
Easy Steps to Make Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toast almonds for 7 – 10 minutes at 350°F on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove from oven, set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, melt 3/4 of the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Once it has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate until melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet, about 1/4 inch thick.
- While still warm, sprinkle evenly with orange zest, chopped toasted almonds and flaky sea salt.
- Let cool completely, then break into pieces.
Adding a hint of orange to chocolate puts this chocolate bark over the top. I used zest from a Cara Cara orange, because I happened to have some of these specialty oranges left after making this Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad. They have a beautiful, almost floral, aroma, but any orange zest will do.
Sprinkling a little flaky sea salt over the chocolate adds another layer of flavour that makes this chocolate bark irresistible.
Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark
- 1 pound quality dark chocolate, at least 60%--I used Bernard Callebaut
- 1/2 cup toasted, coarsely chopped almonds
- 2 tsp orange zest
- sprinkle of flaky sea salt, like Maldon or Fleur de Sel
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toast almonds for 7 - 10 minutes at 350°F on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove from oven, set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Melt 3/4 of the chocolate over, not in, simmering water. Once melted, add the remaining 1/4 and stir until melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the parchment paper, about 1/4 inch thick.
- While still warm, sprinkle with toasted, chopped almonds, orange zest and sea salt.
- Chill in refrigerator or freezer until set.
- Remove and break into pieces.
Love chocolate treats? Try these!
- Sweet and Sea Salty Chocolate Cashews
- Salted Dark Chocolate Bark with Pumpkin Seeds
- Healthy Quinoa Chocolate Bark
- Last-Minute Cherry Almond Chocolate Bark
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.