This Salted Dark Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark could be the perfect ending to your romantic Valentine's date night dinner or Galentine's get-together! You'll only need 4 ingredients to make this chocolate bark!
Just in time for Valentine's Day, I've updated this popular chocolate-orange bark recipe!
Is there anything that goes together better than chocolate and red wine?
Well . . . maybe chocolate and almonds and red wine.
Or chocolate and almonds with orange zest and a sprinkle of sea salt!
And that's all you need for a perfect ending to a meal. I've discovered a simple truth: the less sugar I have, the less I crave. Filling a plate with a variety of veggies and high-quality protein reduces the desire to have something sweet and sugary for dessert.
I do, however, love a piece of dark chocolate after dinner. This Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark is something to look forward to throughout a meal!
You can make it quickly before dinner, pop it into the freezer and it will be ready in time for dessert.
You only need 4 ingredients to make this chocolate orange bark with almonds.
- dark chocolate: use a high quality chocolate with at least 60% cocoa content, preferably 70 - 85%.
- almonds: blanched or unblanched. You will toast them to increase their flavour.
- orange zest: from an organic orange that you have thoroughly washed
- flaky sea salt: like Fleur de Sel
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toast almonds for 7 - 10 minutes at 350°F. on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove from oven, set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, melt ¾ of the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Once it has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate until fully melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet, about ¼ inch thick.
- While still warm, sprinkle evenly with orange zest, chopped toasted almonds and flaky sea salt.
- Let cool completely, then break into pieces.
Adding a hint of orange to chocolate puts this chocolate bark over the top. I used zest from a Cara Cara orange, because I happened to have some of these specialty oranges left after making this Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad. They have a beautiful, almost floral, aroma, but any orange zest will do.
Sprinkling a little flaky sea salt over the chocolate adds another layer of flavour that makes this chocolate bark irresistible!
When you make this chocolate orange bark, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes. Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark
- 1 pound quality dark chocolate, at least 60%--I used Bernard Callebaut
- ½ cup toasted, coarsely chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- sprinkle of flaky sea salt, like Maldon or Fleur de Sel
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toast almonds for 7 - 10 minutes at 350°F on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove from oven, set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Melt ¾ of the chocolate over, not in, simmering water. Once melted, add the remaining ¼ and stir until melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the parchment paper, about ¼ inch thick.
- While still warm, sprinkle with toasted, chopped almonds, orange zest and sea salt.
- Chill in refrigerator or freezer until set.
- Remove and break into pieces.