Avoid the additives in store-bought taco seasoning and learn how to make the best homemade taco seasoning mix in minutes!
Tex-Mex flavours! Tacos, fajitas, quesadillas . . . kids and adults alike love these fun-to-eat meals! Make your own taco seasoning mix for these favourite dishes in minutes!
❤️Why this recipe works
Avoid additives. If you're on a mission to start cooking more from scratch, making your own spice mixes is one place to start. You can avoid the fillers, flavour enhancers, anti-caking agents, and preservatives often found in packaged mixes, not to mention the packaging itself.
Takes only a few minutes. Making this taco spice mix took me less than five minutes, much less time than it would have taken me to run to the store to pick up a package.
Make it the way you like it! You can easily adjust the spices to suit your family's preferences, too. I am not a great fan of cumin, so I keep the amount to a minimum when I make it spice mix.
If you have kids who don't like their food too spicy, you can easily reduce the amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
You'll find the list and amounts of spices needed for this spice mix in the recipe card below. Use fresh spices to guarantee the best flavour.
- chili powder: chili powder in North America is actually a mix of spices. It's different from cayenne powder.
- ground cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano and onion powder: easy to find in your local grocery store.
- paprika: you can use standard paprika, or smoked paprika for that enticing smoky flavour
- salt and pepper: fine sea salt and ground black pepper work well in this mix
- crushed red pepper flakes: these add some heat. Adjust the amount according to your family's tastes.
Measure all ingredients into a small bowl, stir to mix evenly and store in an airtight jar, like a small Mason jar. Remember to label it!
❓ How much seasoning mix will this recipe make?
This recipe will make almost one cup of taco seasoning. Many recipes call for 3 tablespoons (the amount in one package) so this recipe will season several meals.
This mix will last at least six months if the spices you are using are fresh and you store it in a sealed container.
👍🏼 Elaine's Tip
Double the recipe, divide it into two small jars and pass one on as a small gift to a friend. So easy, so quick, and you've made one more step toward eating "clean!"
🗒Other recipes using taco seasoning mix
Taco seasoning mix is an important component in many Tex-Mex or Mexican recipes. Use it in any of these fun recipes!
How to Make Taco Seasoning
- Measure all ingredients into a small bowl, stir to mix evenly and store in an airtight jar.
And if you'd like to try another homemade spice mix, see this post: How to Make Cajun Seasoning Mix and bring those spicy Southern flavours into your home!