This gourmet homemade Spiced Cranberry Orange Sauce is 100 times better than the canned variety! Once you make it, you’ll wonder why you ever bought it in a can.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Spiced Cranberry Orange Sauce is our family’s favourite. It’s lightly flavoured with orange juice, cinnamon and cloves and (optionally) spiked with Triple Sec. It’s a gourmet homemade cranberry sauce for your holiday dinners that may just become your family’s new favourite, too.
Cranberry sauce is something that we only make a few times a year. This recipe is one I’ve used for years, but since I don’t make it often, I haven’t committed it to memory. My original reason for posting it here was simply to have it at my fingertips here on my blog when I need it! But it’s just so good that I wanted to share it with you, too.
I make several batches of this Cranberry Orange sauce at holiday times so I can use it to make these spicy Cranberry Glazed Chili Chicken Wings and these Cranberry Brie Jalapeño Crostini. This sauce freezes well, too.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- zest from one organic orange
- pinch of cinnamon
- cloves half a pinch of
- 1 - 2 tbsp Triple Sec or other orange liqueur optional
- Combine the cranberries, sugar and orange juice in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until cranberries pop. Remove from heat.
- Stir in zest, cinnamon and cloves. Add Triple Sec, if desired.
- Cranberries contain lots of natural pectin so this sauce will thicken as it cools.
- This sauce can be made up to a week in advance. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.