These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are are free of grains, dairy, and refined sugar but they’re just as delicious as a traditional carrot cake.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Every day is worth celebrating for something, don’t you think? So let’s have cake! Or cupcakes, at least. These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are grain-free, making them perfect for your friends following a gluten-free diet, too.
This recipe is a re-working of my Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes recipe. This time, I used coconut oil to produce a product that holds its shape a little better, as coconut oil becomes solid at room temperature. I also frosted them with Coconut Butter Frosting, using my recipe for homemade Coconut Butter that I used on my Carrot-Ginger Muffins, but you could use store-bought if you’re in a hurry.
These Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes are moist, tender and absolutely delicious. They have become a favourite in our family. The lemon frosting has a hint of ginger and puts them over the top! I find this coconut butter frosting easier to work with and more reliable than Whipped Coconut Milk. If you’ve made that often, you’ve probably been as aggravated as I have to find there are some cans that just won’t whip. Check out my tips for whipping coconut milk here.
With or without frosting, these cupcakes are a healthier alternative to traditional carrot cake, but they have all the flavour and texture you’d expect. Celebrate and surprise someone you love today!
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, well-drained if using canned
- ½ cup almond flour, packed
- ¼ cup coconut flour, packed
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 8 muffin tins with paper or reusable liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sweeteners and eggs.
- Stir in carrots and drained pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients the large bowl and stir until well blended.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely. Serve as is, or top with Coconut Butter Lemon Frosting (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, make your own or use store-bought, solid
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (not melted)
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 -3 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Variation: substitute orange zest for the lemon zest. The frosting will be a pale orange colour. See it here on my Carrot Ginger Muffins.
- You may need to chill the frosting slightly first before frosting the cupcakes.
I’ve been asked about the mini cupcake stands in the photo. Here’s a set that is similar:
This post contains affiliate links through amazon.com. If you purchase something through my site, I receive a small commission, paid by Amazon, not by you. It helps to offset the cost of maintaining my site. Thanks for supporting Flavour & Savour!