These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free, but they're as delicious as traditional carrot cake. Made with a blend of almond flour and coconut flour, they're naturally sweetened with crushed pineapple, maple syrup and honey. Lemon coconut butter frosting puts these cupcakes over the top!
There's no need to wait for a special day to make these super moist Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes!
Every day is worth celebrating something, don't you think? So let's have cake! Or cupcakes, at least. These healthy paleo carrot cake cupcakes are grain-free, making them perfect for your friends following a gluten-free diet, too.
Are they carrot cake cupcakes or carrot cake muffins?
You decide! They've become a favourite treat in our home. Like a healthy muffin, they're nutritious enough to have for breakfast. But like a cupcake, they also make a welcome afternoon snack or a gluten-free dessert!
These grain-free carrot cake cupcakes/muffins get their moist, tender texture from crushed pineapple. They're naturally sweetened with maple syrup and honey. Not only that, they're full of healthy carrots. The lemon frosting has hints of ginger and puts these cupcakes over the top!
You'll never guess they're gluten-free. I'm excited to share this recipe with you today!
This gluten-free carrot cake cupcake recipe is part of my collection of Gluten-Free Desserts for Easter and Spring.
Let's make a batch of gluten-free carrot cake cupcakes! Check this list of simple healthy ingredients to see that you have everything you'll need.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. Here are a few notes about the key ingredients.
- coconut oil: or butter. I originally used oil in this recipe, but I revised it use use coconut oil, intead. Coconut oil (or butter) makes a cupcake that holds its shape, as both coconut oil and butter are solid at room temperature.
- sweetener: you'll use a combination of honey and maple syrup
- eggs: help to make these cupcakes rise.
- carrots: you'll use a full cup of nutritious carrots!
- crushed pineapple, very well drained
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- pecans: Nuts are optional.
Here's a quick overview of directions for making these carrot cake cupcakes. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below.
- Line 8 muffin tins with paper or silicone liners and preheat the oven.
- Combine the wet ingredients, including the pineapple in a large bowl, and whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Gently fold in pecans, if using.
- Divide the batter between the eight muffin cups and bake.
- Cool completely, then enjoy as is, or frost.
I frosted these with Coconut Butter Frosting. It's a rich and creamy frosting made without butter or refined sugar.
You could also frost them with cream cheese frosting (but since that contains dairy products, it's not suitable for those following a paleo diet).
With or without frosting, these grain-free carrot cake cupcakes are a healthier alternative to traditional carrot cake, but they have all the flavour and texture you'd expect.
I've also made this recipe in tiny muffin cups for kids, or for those times when you just want a taste. You might want to try these Mini Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. They're ideal for a birthday party!
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
- No electric mixer needed for this recipe!
- This easy recipe will make about 8 cupcakes, depending on the size of your muffin pan.
- These flourless cupcakes don't even need frosting. They're moist and delicious without!
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts for extra flavour and a little crunch.
🥶 Storage and freezing instructions
Frosted cupcakes should be stored in the fridge and will stay fresh for a few days. For longer storage, cool completely, then line an airtight container with a sheet of paper towel to absorb excess moisture and freeze these muffins for up to 3 months.
Celebrate and surprise someone you love today!
Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Coconut Butter Frosting
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 8 muffin tins with paper or reusable liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sweeteners and eggs. Stir in carrots and drained pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the large bowl and stir until well blended.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely. Serve as is, or top with Coconut Butter Lemon Frosting