These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are free of grains, dairy, and refined sugar but they’re just as delicious as a traditional carrot cake. *updated photos
Every day is worth celebrating something, don’t you think? So let’s have cake! Or cupcakes, at least. These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are grain-free, making them perfect for your friends following a gluten-free diet, too.
These moist, tender and absolutely delicious cupcakes have become a favourite in our home. The lemon frosting has hints of ginger and puts these cupcakes over the top.
You’ll never guess they’re gluten-free.
No electric mixer needed for this recipe! Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, the dry in another, then combine, fill muffin cups and bake. These paleo carrot cake cupcakes get their moist, tender texture from crushed pineapple. They’re naturally sweetened with maple syrup and honey. Not only that, they’re full of healthy carrots.
I posted this recipe a few years ago, but I’ve updated it with new photos. I originally used oil in this recipe, but I revised it to use coconut oil instead. It produces a cupcake that holds its shape a little better, as coconut oil is solid at room temperature. I frosted these with Coconut Butter Frosting, using my recipe for homemade Coconut Butter that I used on my Carrot-Ginger Muffins, but I often use store-bought coconut butter when I’m in a hurry.
I find this coconut butter frosting easier to work with and more reliable than Whipped Coconut Milk. If you’ve made that often, you’ve probably been as aggravated as I have to find there are some cans that just won’t whip. Check out my tips for whipping coconut milk here.
You could also frost them with cream cheese frosting (but since that contains dairy products, it’s not suitable for those following a paleo diet). With or without frosting, these cupcakes are a healthier alternative to traditional carrot cake, but they have all the flavour and texture you’d expect.
I’ve made this cupcake recipe many times since I first posted it in 2015. Without the frosting, it’s similar to a healthy muffin. I’ve also made it in tiny muffin cups for kids, or for those times when you just want a taste. You might want to try these Mini Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. They’re ideal for a birthday party!
Tips for Making Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- This easy recipe will make about 8 cupcakes, depending on the size of your muffin pan. I used Wilton pans for this recipe.
- These flourless cupcakes don’t even need frosting. They’re moist and delicious without!
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts for extra flavour and a little crunch.
Celebrate and surprise someone you love today!
Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Coconut Butter Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 8 muffin tins with paper or reusable liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sweeteners and eggs. Stir in carrots and drained pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients the large bowl and stir until well blended.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely. Serve as is, or top with Coconut Butter Lemon Frosting (see recipe below)
Coconut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, make your own or use store-bought, solid
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (not melted)
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 -3 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Variation: substitute orange zest for the lemon zest. The frosting will be a pale orange colour. See it here on my Carrot Ginger Muffins.
- You may need to chill the frosting slightly first before frosting the cupcakes.
I’ve been asked about the mini cupcake stands in the photo. Here’s a set that is similar:
You might also like this Crowd-Pleaser Paleo Carrot Cake
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Save this recipe for Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes to one of your Pinterest boards
and connect with me on Pinterest! I’m always finding new tasty recipes to pin.
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!