These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are are free of grains, dairy, and refined sugar but they’re just as delicious as a traditional carrot cake.
Every day is worth celebrating for something, don’t you think? So let’s have cake! Or cupcakes, at least. These paleo carrot cake cupcakes are grain-free, making them perfect for your friends following a gluten-free diet, too.
This recipe is a re-working of my Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes recipe. This time, I used coconut oil to produce a product that holds its shape a little better, as coconut oil becomes solid at room temperature. I also frosted them with Coconut Butter Frosting, using my recipe for homemade Coconut Butter that I used on my Carrot-Ginger Muffins, but you could use store-bought if you’re in a hurry.
These Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes are moist, tender and absolutely delicious. They have become a favourite in our family. The lemon frosting has a hint of ginger and puts them over the top! I find this coconut butter frosting easier to work with and more reliable than Whipped Coconut Milk. If you’ve made that often, you’ve probably been as aggravated as I have to find there are some cans that just won’t whip. Check out my tips for whipping coconut milk here.
With or without frosting, these cupcakes are a healthier alternative to traditional carrot cake, but they have all the flavour and texture you’d expect. Celebrate and surprise someone you love today!
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, well-drained if using canned
- ½ cup almond flour, packed
- ¼ cup coconut flour, packed
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 8 muffin tins with paper or reusable liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sweeteners and eggs.
- Stir in carrots and drained pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients the large bowl and stir until well blended.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely. Serve as is, or top with Coconut Butter Lemon Frosting (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, make your own or use store-bought, solid
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (not melted)
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 -3 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Variation: substitute orange zest for the lemon zest. The frosting will be a pale orange colour. See it here on my Carrot Ginger Muffins.
- You may need to chill the frosting slightly first before frosting the cupcakes.
I’ve been asked about the mini cupcake stands in the photo. Here’s a set that is similar:
You might also like this Crowd-Pleaser Pale Carrot Cake
This post contains affiliate links through amazon.com. If you purchase something through my site, I receive a small commission, paid by Amazon, not by you. It helps to offset the cost of maintaining my site. Thanks for supporting Flavour & Savour!
This post contains affiliate links.
Like this recipe? Pin it or share it! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe.