This paleo Carrot Cake has all the flavour of a traditional carrot cake, but it’s grain-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free too! A crowd-pleasing cake that has become a family favourite.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Say the word “birthday” and what comes to mind? Cake! The two go hand in hand. Making a wish and blowing out the candles is a wonderful tradition that all ages love.
Choosing a cake for those with special dietary needs is not always easy. My family appreciates gluten-free, dairy-free and refined-sugar free desserts, but finding fabulous-tasting desserts with these criteria has been a challenge.
Until now! I found this recipe on Detoxinista. I recently met Megan when she spoke about her beautiful cookbook, Everyday Detox , at the Chopped Conference in Kansas City. When I read through her list of ingredients, I knew I had hit the jackpot. I have adapted her recipe slightly and I topped off the cake with her to-die-for recipe for Maple Pecan Glaze.
This paleo carrot cake is filled with flavourful carrots, pineapple and golden raisins which keep it moist and tender. It is every bit as good, if not better, than a traditionally baked carrot cake. I baked it in a well-oiled tube pan with a removable bottom as I was concerned it would stick to the pan, but it came out easily, every time I made it. If I ever make it as a layer cake in regular cake pans, however, I would line the pans with parchment paper.
Bake it! You will not be disappointed. And don’t forget that amazing glaze!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, well-drained
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9 - inch tube pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, eggs, and lemon juice.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients in the large bowl and stir until combined.
- Stir in the carrots, pineapple and raisins.
- Scoop into the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 45- 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let stand in pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out to cooling rack.
- Combine all ingredients for Maple Pecan Glaze in a high speed blender.
- When cool, frost with Maple Pecan Glaze and decorate with finely chopped pecans.
I used a 9 - inch tube pan with a removable bottom.
Recipe for Maple Pecan Glaze found at http://detoxinista.com/maple-pecan-glaze-dairy-free/
Love carrot cake? Try these Paleo Carrot Cake Cupcakes too.