These gluten-free thin and crispy salted coconut cookies have only four ingredients and are easy to make. They're always the first to disappear from the cookie tray!
Family favourite Crispy Salted Coconut Cookies!
These salted gluten-free coconut cookies are crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside, just like prize-winning cookies should be. They also take top honors because they have that tiny hint of salt that cookie-lovers crave.
Not only that, they're gluten-free, making them definite winners in my books.
Looking for cookies to make for a bake sale or a holiday cookie exchange party? Look no further! This recipe for Crispy Salted Coconut Cookies may be the one you need. Why?
It's a quick and easy recipe, and these coconut cookies are always the first ones to disappear from the cookie tray. They're perfect for those on a gluten-free diet, too. With the number of people with a gluten intolerance increasing, these salted coconut cookies provide an option that everyone loves, whether they're avoiding gluten or not!
Whether you're baking for winter holidays or summer picnics, these salted coconut cookies will be snapped up! Dangerously addictive!
This recipe makes 4 dozen (48) small cookies or 2 dozen medium-sized cookies. Here's what you'll need to make them.
All you'll need to make these crispy coconut cookies are:
- butter: melted
- coconut: unsweetened, medium shred
- sugar: granulated sugar
- and a few pinches of flaky sea salt, like Fleur de Sel
Here's a quick overview of what you'll do. You'll find complete, detailed instructions and ingredient amounts in the recipe card below.
- Melt butter in a saucepan or in a microwave-safe bowl, then stir in the coconut until it is well coated.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl until frothy, then beat in the sugar until the mixture is very light and fluffy, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut mixture to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or drop by teaspoonfuls on to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 1 ½ inches apart. Press down gently to flatten slightly. Bake for 7-14 minutes (depending on their size) or until golden brown, watching carefully.
- As soon as you remove them from the oven, sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt, like Fleur de Sel. If you wait until the cookies have cooled, the salt won't stick to the cookies. The salt not only adds incredible flavour, it adds a hint of sparkle to the cookie tops, too.
To keep them crisp, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze these coconut cookies?
Yes! Bake ahead of time, store in a tightly covered container, and freeze. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months. They thaw quickly, so you can take them out of the freezer just before serving time.
- Dip the base of the cooled cookies in melted chocolate.
- Drizzle chocolate on top of the cookies once they have cooled.
If you love these gluten-free Crispy Salted Coconut Cookies, please give them 5 stars and share how they turned out in the comment section below so others can benefit!
Crispy Salted Coconut Cookies
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 ½ cups coconut unsweetened shredded/dessicated
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 - 1 ½ tsp flaky sea salt like Fleur de Sel for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F. and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat or in a bowl ikn the microwave.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut, stirring well by hand until the coconut is well coated with the butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg on medium speed until blended. Add the sugar to the bowl and beat on medium-high until the mixture is light-coloured and fluffy, 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut mixture and stir until well combined.
- Use a cookie scoop, or drop the batter by small spoonfuls onto the parchment-covered baking sheets. Space the cookies about 1 ½ inches apart and press down evenly to flatten. slightly.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes at 350°F. until golden, or up to 14 minutes for larger cookies. Watch carefully to prevent them burning on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops of each cookie with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Carefully slide the entire sheet of parchment with the cookies intact onto a wire cooling rack so that the heat from the baking sheet won't continue to brown the bottom of the cookies.
- As soon as they are cool, place in an air-tight container to maintain their crispness. These cookies freeze well.