This Dairy-Free Creamy Asparagus Soup is rich and creamy–but made with cashews instead of cream! Paleo with a vegan option.
This dairy-free creamy asparagus soup is like sipping Spring! It’s fresh, green, and bursting with flavour. And c-r-e-a-m-y! Do you remember I told you about our local asparagus farm when I posted the recipe for Easy 5-minute Sesame Asparagus? Well, it’s now open and we can enjoy fresh-picked asparagus! Those tender little spears make this Asparagus Salad with Smoked Salmon and Sesame Miso Vinaigrette a great way to celebrate Spring’s arrival.
I love creamy soups. They’re so, I don’t know, comforting. Like a polar fleece blanket or a cat on your lap. A baby asleep in your arms. A warm fire when it’s rainy and windy outside. Stop me. I could go on and on. Cream soups, however, contain cream, and dairy products and I are not getting along too well at the moment.
No worries! I have a new-found friend that thickens my soup and makes it just as smooth and creamy: cashews! As you know if you have read my blog for a while, I like to make cooking easy. Quick, like this 5-minute Sesame Asparagus side dish or this easy Baked Lemon Chicken. This recipe for dairy-free creamy asparagus soup, however, was the easiest soup I have ever made.
I tossed the raw asparagus, chicken broth and pre-soaked cashews into the Vitamix, blended until it was perfectly smooth and piping hot and added a little salt and pepper at the end. Presto! Soup’s ready. If using a regular blender, blend until smooth, transfer to a pot and heat on the stove top.
Cooking Tips for Dairy-Free Creamy Asparagus Soup
To thicken a soup with cashews, it’s best for your digestion to soak them for 2-4 hours, drain, rinse thoroughly, and then add them to the blender with the remaining ingredients. A high-speed blender could allow you to skip this step, as it will easily turn cashews into cashew cream, but soaking and rinsing nuts helps to remove potential toxins and makes them easier for your body to digest. Place them in a bowl, add water to cover, lay a breathable cloth or thin tea towel on top, and let sit at room temperature. Cashews are a soft nut, so they only need 2 – 4 hours soaking time.
So grab some fresh asparagus from your local farmer’s market while it’s in season and make a big batch of this creamy asparagus soup. Even smarter: double the recipe and freeze half for a busy day.
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus spears about 30, reserve a few spears for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegan or vegetarian diet
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- salt and pepper
- Put the cashews in a bowl, cover with water and a thin cloth and allow to soak for 2 - 4 hours. Drain, rinse thoroughly.
- Chop the asparagus and put it, the chicken broth, and the pre-soaked cashews in a Vitamix or other high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Continue with the machine on High speed until the soup is hot, about 7 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with fresh asparagus spears for garnish.
- If using a regular blender, blend ingredients until smooth, then transfer to a pot and heat gently on the stove until asparagus is very tender. Season and serve.
You might also like this Asparagus Salad with Smoked Salmon and Sesame Miso Vinaigrette
Like this recipe? Pin it or share it! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe.
A Vitamix is an expensive kitchen appliance, but it is one of the best kitchen products I have bought. I never regretted my decision. Morning smoothies, afternoon soups, grinding nuts and seeds, making my own flour for baking, blending dressings and vinaigrettes, or whipping up natural dairy-free ice cream or sorbet for dessert are just a few of the things I use it for. Huge time-saver!
Don’t miss out on my free recipe updates, Subscribe here in the sidebar and
Like my Facebook page. Follow me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram. Thanks for stopping by!