This Easy Baked Lemon Chicken is . . . easy! Use chicken thighs or chicken breasts to make this one-pot paleo and keto lemon chicken dish.
Made with fresh lemons, herbs and garlic, this Easy Baked Lemon Chicken is a quick weeknight meal, but it’s special enough for a dinner party. It will have you dreaming of the sun-drenched Mediterranean! This is a simple healthy baked lemon chicken recipe for chicken thighs or breasts, all made in one pan.
And it’s both paleo and keto-friendly!
I’m not always on the lookout for the easiest recipe ever. I love playing around with food and changing recipes, and tackling something new that might be challenging to me. But if I tried to do that with every dish in a meal, my kitchen (and my meal) would likely be a disaster.
So sometimes it’s great to find a short cut to a recipe and whip it up quickly so that you have time to concentrate on making an interesting side dish or salad or dessert. And that was the case with this recipe.
What makes this Keto Baked Lemon Chicken so easy?
Often when I cook chicken thighs, I use a two-step method where I brown them in a skillet first before combining them with a sauce and baking them in the oven.
Not this one.
Simply heat a little olive oil, garlic, lemon and herbs in a saucepan, pour into a baking dish, place the chicken on top and bake in the oven.
That’s it! Done. The skin turns out nicely browned and crispy, and there is no risk of it coming off and sticking to your skillet.
Can I use chicken breasts with this Baked Lemon Chicken recipe?
Yes! I adapted this recipe slightly from Ina Garten’s Lemon Chicken Breasts on the Food Network. I’ve made it several times, using both boneless chicken thighs and bone-in thighs. I’ve also made it with chicken breasts.
I find if I keep the skin on while baking, it keeps the chicken moist. If you use boneless, skinless breasts, be sure to baste frequently during cooking to keep them from drying out.
I prefer thighs over chicken breasts for this recipe as the thighs have more flavour and don’t dry out like breasts tend to do, but either will work. If using boneless chicken pieces, you can reduce your baking time.
Just check it with a meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked to a safe temperature. I have also used Meyer Lemons sometimes for their sweeter, more intense flavour.
What should I serve with this lemon chicken?
I usually keep it simple and serve it with some steamed broccoli or asparagus and a side salad. This healthy chicken dish also goes well with my Cauliflower Rice, Never Fail Thai Coconut Rice, or try it with these crispy Apple Cider Roasted Root Vegetables .
What wine pairs well with this baked lemon chicken?
The lemon sauce on this healthy keto chicken dish has gentle flavours, so a simple dry white wine will pair well with it. You might like to try a Chardonnay, a Pinot Grigio or your favourite dry white wine.
Can I freeze this Keto lemon chicken dish?
Yes, this chicken dish freezes well. Remove the cooked lemon slices before freezing, then cover the dish or transfer to an airtight baking dish and freeze. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, add fresh lemon slices, then reheat it covered, at 350°F. for about 30 minutes or until heated through. You may want to place it under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp the skin.
And if you love lemon chicken, you’ll love this One Pan Baked Lemon Artichoke Chicken, too.
Easy Baked Lemon Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 tbsp minced garlic, 6 - 9 cloves, depending on size
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 whole lemon, for slicing
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs OR 4 boneless skin-on chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the sauce. Gently heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the minced garlic and heat until tender but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the wine, lemon zest and lemon juice, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper and stir.
- Remove from heat and pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place skin side up in the dish. Spoon some of the sauce over top to coat completely.
- Slice the lemon and tuck it in, skin side down (otherwise it will scorch) between the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, (less for boneless breasts) depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Check for doneness. If the skin isn't crispy, place the dish under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until browned.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Spoon some of the sauce from the bottom of the dish over the chicken just before serving.
If you like easy chicken recipes, try these too!
I’ve updated this recipe by reducing the amount of olive oil needed, adding new photos and answering questions from my readers.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.