This Fit and Healthy Kale Salad with Superfoods is full of colourful immune-boosters--oranges, pomegranate and heart-healthy walnuts. Tips to make the best kale salad!
Healthy Kale Salad with Superfoods!
Beat the winter blahs by filling up with healthy foods like kale, pomegranate, oranges and walnuts in this tasty kale salad with superfoods!
While you may be thinking, "Kale is so last year," as you read this, you may be right. As far as food trends go, collards and kohlrabi seem to be one-upping kale, but kale's nutritional value hasn't changed. It provides more antioxidants than other vegetables or fruits and it's an excellent source of fiber, iron and calcium.
Combine it in a salad with other superfoods like pomegranate arils, oranges, and walnuts and you have an immune-boosting, mood-enhancing healthy meal in a bowl. I made some Maple Glazed Walnuts to top off this salad and dressed it with a simple citrus vinaigrette.
The rain has arrived here. The gray, dreary rain for which November on the West Coast is so famous is here again. It's the kind of weather that makes you want to get into your jammies by 4:00 and head for a spot near the fireplace with some hot chocolate or warm turmeric milk and a good book, (or never get out of them in the morning.)
But who cares when you can have a cheerful bowl of nutritious veggies and fruits like this kale salad with superfoods? Even the dullest day here usually has a break in the rain and a spark of sunshine.
Putting this kale salad on the dinner table is bound to raise your family's optimism. December always follows November! There are lots of things to look forward to.
Let's make a healthy kale salad with oranges and pomegranates!
Here's what you'll need:
Kale: young kale leaves, or use the more tender Lacinato Kale (also known as Dinosaur Kale, Black Kale or Tuscan Kale.)
Pomegranate arils: for extra colour and nutrition
Oranges: use a variety for extra colour. Try navel oranges, blood oranges, mandarins or satsumas.
Goat cheese: or feta cheese
Maple-glazed walnuts: Toast walnuts, then toss with maple syrup for a sweet treat on top of your salad!
Citrus Vinaigrette: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, honey and Dijon mustard.
Tips to Make the Best Kale Salad with Oranges
- Begin by combining the ingredients for a simple Citrus Vinaigrette. Set aside to allow the flavours to blend.
- Remove the inner rib from washed kale and slice the kale leaves into thin ribbons. Combine with a little olive oil and gently massage all the leaves to tenderize them.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients and toss with the dressing before serving.
- This kale salad will last a few days in the fridge.
Adding a bright rainbow of colours to our meals can often ensure that we're getting a variety of nutrients. Varying the shapes and textures adds interest and appeal too. Slice oranges instead of sectioning them, for a change. Leave the walnuts whole instead of chopping them.
Tips to Make the Best Kale Salad
Create your own kale salad by following these simple guidelines.
- Remove the inner rib and any other tough ribs. Kale can be chewy and hearty.
- Cut, don’t tear. Slice into thin strips or ribbons to make it easier to eat.
- Massage it. Use a teaspoon or two of olive oil and gently massage the oil into the sliced kale ribbons. Massaging helps to break down the tough fibers and tenderize the kale.
- Combine it with strong-flavoured foods like cheese, nuts, seeds, or fruit such as oranges or berries. Kale needs something to complement its earthy flavour.
- Let it rest. Toss it with the dressing, but wait to serve it. Give the vinegar or lemon juice in the dressing time to soften the kale a little.
Fit and Healthy Kale Salad with Superfoods
- 8 -10 kale leaves, center ribs removed and chopped finely
- 3 oranges, a mixture of navel and blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 - 1 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup Maple Glazed Walnuts, see recipe below
Simple Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Whisk the Citrus Vinaigrette ingredients together first to allow the flavours to blend. Set aside.
- Put the finely chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Thoroughly massage it with your fingers until it is well coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Toss with Citrus Vinaigrette just before serving.
Try these healthy Kale Salads too!
Try this Kale Manchego Cheese and Walnut Salad, too. A healthy meal in a bowl!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.