This Fit and Healthy Kale Salad with Superfoods is full of colourful immune-boosters!
Beat the winter blahs by filling up with healthy foods like kale, pomegranate, oranges and walnuts in this tasty kale salad with superfoods!
The rain has arrived. The gray, dreary rain for which November on the West Coast is so famous is here again. It’s the kind of weather that makes you want to get into your jammies by 4:00 and head for a spot near the fireplace with some hot chocolate or warm turmeric milk and a good book, (or never get out of them in the morning.)
But who cares when you can have a cheerful bowl of nutritious veggies and fruits like this kale salad with superfoods? Even the dullest day here usually has a break in the rain and a spark of sunshine.
Putting this kale salad on the dinner table is bound to raise your family’s optimism. December always follows November! There are lots of things to look forward to.
Weather affects our moods. It’s easy to get depressed about the lack of sunshine, but remembering to get adequate amounts of dark green leafy greens can help to lift our spirits. Eating a healthy diet, avoiding sugar, getting outside and reminding myself that the rain won’t last forever are ways I have learned to deal with November. (Escaping to a tropical spot works, too.)
While you may be thinking, “Kale is so last year,” as you read this, you may be right. As far as food trends go, collards and kohlrabi seem to be one-upping kale, but kale’s nutritional value hasn’t changed. It provides more antioxidants than other vegetables or fruits and it’s an excellent source of fiber, iron and calcium.
Combine it in a salad with other superfoods like pomegranate arils, oranges, and walnuts and you have an immune-boosting, mood-enhancing healthy meal in a bowl. I made some Maple Glazed Walnuts to top off this salad and dressed it with a simple citrus vinaigrette.
Adding a bright rainbow of colours to our meals can often ensure that we’re getting a variety of nutrients. Varying the shapes and textures adds interest and appeal too. Slice oranges instead of sectioning them, for a change. Leave the walnuts whole instead of chopping them. Create your own kale salad with your favourite superfoods by following these guidelines, guaranteed to convert kale-haters, and see my other healthy Kale Salad recipes here. Enjoy!
Fit and Healthy Kale Salad with Superfoods
- 8 -10 kale leaves, center ribs removed and chopped finely
- 3 oranges, I used a mixture of navel and blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 - 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Maple Glazed Walnuts*
Simple Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Whisk the Citrus Vinaigrette ingredients together first to allow the flavours to blend.
- Put the finely chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Thoroughly massage it with your fingers until it is well coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Toss with Citrus Vinaigrette just before serving.