A spring and summer essential! This strawberry mango salsa has a winning combination of sweet and spicy! Made with strawberries, mango, red onion, lime and cilantro, this mango salsa recipe makes a bright, colourful side for casual meals. Serve it with tortilla chips, add it to tacos, or enjoy it with crab cakes, grilled salmon or chicken.
❤️Why this recipe works
The best fruit salsa recipes are those made with the freshest summer fruits: strawberries, peaches, nectarines, mango, even cherries and grapes!
They couldn't be easier to make and they're always a welcome addition at summer parties, picnics or barbecues.
Salsa can be whipped up in just a few minutes to serve with dishes like these Crispy Cajun Chicken Strips with Nectarine Salsa, or Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa. And for something a little different, but oh-so-good, I make Cherry Salsa with Goat Cheese as an appetizer.
While Strawberry Mango Salsa is always fun to eat with tortilla chips, it's also delicious with salmon or crab cakes.
Ready to make a bowl? Here's what you'll need.
🛒 Strawberry Mango Salsa Ingredients
- strawberries: perfectly ripe will give you the best flavour. Strawberries spoil quickly, so pick those that are at their peak and use them right away.
- mango: a perfectly ripe mango will be sweet, yet still firm enough to dice easily.
- red onion: for zesty flavour
- jalapeño: minced finely, it adds a hint of heat that gives salsa its bite, without being overpowering.
- cilantro: gives the salsa a pungent, citrusy bite. Choose cilantro that has bright green leaves. Avoid leaves that are yellowing or stems that are limp.
- lime: you'll use both lime juice and lime zest. Remember to zest the lime before you juice it.
Combine all the mango salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Enjoy right away or refrigerate until serving time.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
You'll want to get as much of this salsa on your chip as possible without it falling off! It helps to keep the strawberries and mango diced fairly small, and about the same size.
Mince the jalapeño finely. You'll want it to add a gentle and subtle spiciness to this salsa, not a shocking bite!
If your strawberries and mango are not perfectly ripe, feel free to add a teaspoon or two of honey. Adding a little sweetness will help to balance the flavour of the lime juice.
🔁 Possible Variations
I sometimes add diced avocado to this strawberry mango salsa. Toss it with lime juice before adding it to the salsa to prevent browning.
No strawberries available? You can easily substitute fresh diced pineapple for the strawberries if you'd like. It's also delicious with ripe kiwi fruit, too!
Adding finely diced cucumber adds cool fresh flavour to this mango salsa recipe. Remove the seeds before adding cucumber to prevent your salsa from becoming too watery.
How to store strawberries
If you grow your own strawberries or get them from a U-pick site, they will last a little longer than if you've brought them home from a grocery store, but they will still only last a few days before spoiling.
You can leave them on the counter for a day or two, or refrigerate them right away. But first, examine them and remove any that may be starting to spoil.
If you've bought them in a plastic container, take them out and place them loosely in a colander, a shallow bowl or a wide pan lined with a paper towel to allow air to circulate around them.
Leave the stems on until you're ready to eat them. The stem helps to protect the wet interior flesh from exposure to mold.
For the same reason, wash them just before eating. Strawberries will soak up the water, making them more likely to spoil.
Once you've cut or hulled strawberries, they'll need to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge to protect them from spoiling.
🍽 Serving suggestions
This strawberry mango salsa recipe goes well with many dishes, not only tortilla chips! We like it with crab cakes, with grilled fish or chicken, and in fish tacos.
🗒More fruit salsa recipes
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa
- Crispy Cajun Chicken Strips with Nectarine Salsa
- Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa
- Cherry Salsa Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Grape Salsa with Lime and Cilantro
- Tex Mex Crab Cakes with Strawberry Mango Salsa
- Salt and Pepper Crusted Halibut with Mango Pomegranate Salsa
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Fresh Strawberry Mango Salsa
- ¾ cup strawberries, diced
- ¾ cup mango, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 - 2 teaspoon honey, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and add 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey, if needed.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator.