Heat up the grill and relax with this easy meal of open-faced Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa. Make ahead and freeze. Great for lazy summer days or for busy week nights!
Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa--heat with sweet! These open-faced burgers are made with ground chicken, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, onion and a little cilantro. Fresh peach salsa perfectly complements these spicy burgers!
After making these healthy Open-Face Thai Chicken Burgers and my favourite Open-Faced Harissa Burgers I discovered that a burger is just as satisfying without a bun. I decided to experiment a little with flavours and made these open-faced Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa.
Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapeños. Even the word "chipotle" conjures up images of hot, smoky and spicy food. However, you can easily control the heat in these ground chicken burgers by increasing or decreasing the amount of chipotle peppers you add, or by only using the adobo sauce. Make them mild, medium or spicy hot!
- fresh ground chicken
- canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely diced with liquid
- sea salt and pepper
Peach Salsa Ingredients
- red onion
- red and yellow bell pepper
- jalapeño pepper
- rice vinegar
- lime juice
- Combine all burger ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed. Form the mixture into large patties for dinner, small ones for kids or for lunches, or even into meatballs to tuck inside a wrap.
- Fry or grill in a well-greased pan or grill over moderate heat. You can also air fry these burgers for 5- 6 minutes per side at 360°F. then at 400°F. for 1 - 2 minutes to sear the surface. Always check the internal temperatures with an instant-read meat thermometer. It should reach 165°F.
- Combine all peach salsa ingredients in a bowl, then serve the open-faced burgers with a large spoonful of salsa.
Tips to help prevent burgers from shrinking
Burgers will puff up in the centre while they cook, pulling the sides in toward the centre. No one wants a meatball instead of a burger!
To prevent "meatball-like" burgers, form the patties slightly larger than the diameter you'd like the cooked patties to be. Gently press in the center with your thumb to form a dimple. Once they're grilled or fried, the patties will have smoother tops and will be almost the same size you wanted them to be.
A second tip is to cook your burgers at a moderate temperature. Heating them over high heat not only causes them to shrink, but it can also destroy the flavour. If you're grilling them, leave the lid open so they don't reach a high temperature too quickly
Absolutely! Mix up the ingredients for the burgers, form into patties, freeze on a baking sheet, then stack between layers of parchment paper. Store in airtight containers or vacuum seal. They'll be ready for those hectic nights when you're arriving home late and everyone's hungry. Dinner problem solved!
I use a glass herb keeper to keep my herbs fresh. I often find that a recipe calls for a small amount of cilantro, and yet it is usually sold in bunches. This herb keeper has paid for itself several times over. No more slimy cilantro to throw out!
I often find I only need part of a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, so I store the remainder in a small glass jar in the fridge for another day. They last for a few weeks or more. Use them in any of the following recipes.
Heat and Sweet!
These chicken burgers are delicious with peach salsa! This fresh salsa is colourful, it's sweet with a little heat, and it perfectly complements the spicy chipotle flavour of the burgers. Best of all, it's quick to prepare.
Serve these ground chicken burgers with a healthy salad or two. Try any of the following:
📖 Recipe Card
Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa
- 2 ½ pounds fresh ground chicken (1.2 kg)
- 3 oz canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely diced with liquid
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely minced
- sea salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Form into patties (about ⅓ cup each)
- Fry or grill in well-greased pan or grill until no longer pink inside and a meat thermometer inserted sideways indicates an internal temperature of at least 165°F. (about 8-10 minutes per side). If the burger sticks to the pan when you try to flip it, let it cook for another minute or two.
- Serve with a large spoonful of Fresh Peach Salsa.
📖 Recipe Card
Fresh Peach Salsa
- 4 cups chopped peeled peaches, about 4 large peaches
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup each red and yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, finely minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
This post has been updated with new photos and information.