These Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa are stuffed with salt and pepper crusted fish, a piquant fruit salsa and they’re topped with a creamy avocado dip.
What is it about taco nights that seems to improve everyone’s mood? I love looking forward to a casual meal like fish tacos. They’re fun to put together, they’re a little messy, and they make a weekday meal seem like a festive occasion. I made these Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa recently, primarily as a kitchen experiment. They’re now officially “a thing” and I’m saving this recipe to use over and over.
Pineapple Rhubarb Crisp has been a favourite dessert ever since I discovered that the natural sweetness of pineapple greatly reduced the need to add sugar to the recipe. Today, I decided to make that combo into something different. I came up with this sweet and spicy Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa to add to our grilled fish tacos.
Crisp salt-and-pepper-crusted halibut was a great choice for these fish tacos, but any firm white fish would be equally as delicious. Since halibut is so expensive, I used some of the thinner small pieces that were left when we filleted and froze several pounds of fresh halibut earlier this year. They were perfect for these tacos.
This Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa is a little sweet and a little spicy. Rhubarb adds some crunch and red onion and jalapeño pepper contribute the heat that we expect from a salsa. The Avocado Cream is an easy but oh-so-delicious dip that holds everything together. Simply combine Greek yogurt with avocado and flavour with a some cilantro, honey and a squeeze of lime.
How to assemble these grilled fish tacos
- After heating corn tortillas on the grill
- add a handful of chopped greens,
- a scoop of pineapple rhubarb salsa,
- a few pieces of grilled fish,
- and a dollop of avocado cream.
With the help of napkins, we devoured these and looked around for more! The leftover salsa and a bag of tortilla chips didn’t last long either.
When rhubarb season rolls around, I love to experiment and find new ways to use it. I’ve made both this Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie and this Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait several times already this Spring. The mint in my garden is thriving, so Rhubarb Mint Mojito will be on the menu soon, once those warm sunny evenings finally arrive. But in the meantime, I’ll be making these fish tacos with pineapple rhubarb salsa regularly.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa
For the Fish
- 1 pound firm white fish fillest, like halibut, cod, sea bass
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- oil for the grill or skillet
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
For the Pineapple Salsa
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
For the Avocado Cream
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- a squeeze of lime juice
For the Tortillas
- 8 corn tortillas
- oil for the grill
- 2 cups romaine or other crisp greens, finely sliced
- Prepare the Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa first to allow flavours to blend. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine the Avocado Cream ingredients in a blender and set aside.
- Heat a grill or skillet. Add a high heat oil, like grape seed oil, and heat until almost smoking. Pat the fish dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add to hot grill or skillet and sear for 2 - 3 minutes or until golden brown. Using a fish turner, flip and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on the other side, just until fish flakes easily with a fork. Cook time will depend on the thickness of your fillet. Do not overcook. The fish will continue to cook after you remove it from the skillet. Sprinkle lightly with dried chili flakes, if desired.
- Heat tortillas on grill, brushing with a little oil to prevent sticking.
- Assemble the tacos. Add greens, salsa, fish, and top with avocado cream. Serve immediately with napkins!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.