Make this Gluten-free Lemon Almond Cake any time you want to celebrate! This easy almond flour cake recipe is light and delicately flavoured with lemon. It's all made in one bowl! It's delicious with fresh strawberries, blueberries, or a simple dusting of powdered sugar.
This one-bowl flourless lemon almond cake might be my new favourite dessert! Only one bowl to wash!
This simple almond flour cake worked perfectly to celebrate two events recently: a family birthday and the arrival of strawberry season. It's light, it's lemony, and it's moist!
While I make this Flourless Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake often, today I wanted to make a simple dairy-free almond cake and decided to top it with fresh sliced strawberries. If you love strawberry desserts too, check this round-up of 16 Gluten-free Strawberry Recipes.
❤️ Why you'll love this flourless lemon cake recipe
- Topped with fresh berries (and maybe a dollop of whipped cream or coconut whip) this simple flourless cake is ideal for any special occasion (or even for morning coffee time.)
- It's equally as delicious dusted lightly with powdered sugar.
- It has a light texture with hints of lemon and almond.
- This recipe uses simple ingredients!
- It's all made in one bowl!
🛒 Simple ingredients for a simple cake
- eggs act as a leavening agent in this recipe.
- sugar: I've only tested this recipe with granulated sugar. Using monkfruit with erythritol may result in a cake that is too dry. Sugar helps cakes and other baked goods to retain moisture.
- almond flour: blanched, finely ground almond flour, not almond meal.
- baking powder
- flavouring: this cake has bright lemon flavour from lemon zest and hints of almond from pure almond extract
You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below. This is a quick and easy lemon cake recipe. Here's an overview of what you'll do.
- You'll start by preparing an 8-inch round baking pan by lining it with parchment paper and greasing the sides.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add all the remaining ingredients and beat until the batter is smooth. Don't overbeat.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Use room temperature eggs. Take the eggs out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature while you prepare the baking pan, zest the lemon and measure the ingredients.
How to zest a lemon. Lemon zest is the yellow outer layer of a lemon. The white area underneath is the pith. As it can be bitter, you want to avoid adding it to your recipe. I like to use a microplane to zest lemons and oranges.
Wash the lemon thoroughly, dry it, then run it over the surface of the lemon, scraping off just the yellow part. Tap the lemon against the microplane to knock off the tiny bits of zest that get caught underneath the microplane.
Suggested Almond Cake Toppings
This is an easy recipe for a basic almond lemon cake. I hope you get a chance to make it and experiment with different toppings, too!
- Add whipped cream or whipped coconut milk, and add sliced strawberries, blueberries or raspberries.
- Lightly dust it with powdered sugar and sprinkle a few flaked almonds on top.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream on the cake, then top with a combination of fresh berries, or candied lemon slices and garnish with mint leaves.
- Top it with a generous spoonful or two of simple cherry sauce. Cherries and almonds make a delicious flavour combination.
When fresh apricots are available, try this Flourless Apricot Almond Cake with Streusel Topping. It's the same recipe, with the addition of fresh apricots and a slightly crunchy topping. So delicious!
To Store: Store this almond flour cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you've added berries or whipped topping, the cake must be refrigerated.
To Freeze: Cool the cake completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before serving.
More gluten-free almond cake recipes
You'll find lots more ideas for gluten-free cakes here in my recipe index! Here are three reader favourites:
- Flourless Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake
- Gluten-free Flourless Cherry Almond Ricotta Cake
- Flourless Nectarine Ricotta Cake
- Gluten-free Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
More gluten-free cake recipes
🌟 Did you make this recipe?
When you make this gluten-free almond cake recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
One-Bowl Flourless Lemon Almond Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup granulated sugar,
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract, optional
- 1 ½ cups almond flour, blanched, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- fresh berries and or whipped cream or whipped coconut milk for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of an 8 - inch round cake pan. Grease the sides with butter.
- In the large bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Don't overbeat.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 28-30 minutes until golden and the edges are just beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely in the pan. Run a knife around the edge to loosen before transferring it to a wire cooling rack. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with whipped cream or coconut whip and fresh sliced strawberries or other berries just before serving.