This Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad is made with a base of pink grapefruit, Cara Cara and navel oranges. A Paleo, Whole30 and vegan citrus fruit salad!
This bright, cheerful Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad, bursting with Vitamin C, guarantees to help banish the winter blues. It might just help fight off a winter cold, too.
Here on the West Coast of Canada, January can sometimes be a month where we just want to escape and head somewhere sunny, warm and bright. It’s often gray and rainy here. Sometimes we don’t see much sunshine for days.
This year we’re experiencing an unusual cold snap with freezing temperatures. While we’ve had some spectacularly sunny days, in my mind it’s still January. Summer seems a long way away.
But one way to bring some sunshine into my home is with the colourful citrus fruit that is available now. I made this Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad with a base of pink grapefruit, Cara Cara oranges and navel oranges. It’s bursting with vibrant cheerful colours and Vitamin C!
Once January arrives, I love getting inspiration for new recipes simply by making a trip to the supermarket. Grapefruit, oranges, kumquats, clementines, Meyer lemons. I love them all and they’re fun to use to create new recipes.
Ingredients for Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad
This is a simple citrus fruit salad that doesn’t rely on salad greens, which can be pricey and sometimes poor quality at this time of year. I added paper-thin fennel slices for that lovely liquorice flavour, red onion for some zing, and avocado, because . . . avocado.
Let’s get started!
You will need:
- 2 small grapefruit
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- 1 navel orange
- red onion
- 1 avocado
- fresh ginger
- olive oil and vinegar
Then, slice the fruit, arrange on a platter and drizzle with dressing. This tasty Ginger-Orange Vinaigrette ties all those bright citrus flavours together. It’s the same dressing that I use to top my favourite Baby Bok Choy Salad.
This salad is sweet and juicy and it’s pretty. It’s one more way to make sure we’re getting lots vitamins, minerals and fiber in a low-calorie package. Enjoy!
Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad with Fennel
- 2 small grapefruit, peel and pith removed
- 1 Cara Cara orange, peel and pith removed
- 1 navel orange, peel and pith removed
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bulb fennel, sliced paper thin
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- fennel fronds, for garnish
Ginger Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp shallots,, minced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice,, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger,, finely grated
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper,, to taste
- Whisk Ginger-Orange Dressing ingredients together and set aside to allow flavours to blend.
- Peel grapefruit and oranges, remove pith and slice into rounds, 1/4 inch thick.
- Slice red onion and fennel, using a mandolin slicer if available, to create paper-thin slices.
- Arrange fruit slices attractively on a platter, top with fennel and red onion.
- Add avocado slices just before serving. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
More Citrus Fruit Salad Inspiration:
- Citrus Avocado Salad with Shrimp and Smoky Vinaigrette
- Orange and Avocado Salad with Parmesan Crisps
- Pomegranate Mandarin Salad with Avocado and Feta
- Winter Citrus Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese
- Kiwi Mandarin Spinach Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.