Add some bright colour to your diet with this healthy baby bok choy salad made with oranges and Asian pears. Vegan, paleo and Whole30 compliant
Baby Bok Choy Salad with Ginger Orange Dressing is on the menu today to bring colour to our meal!
Have you tried raw baby bok choy? I usually add it to a stir-fry, but did you know that it's delicious raw as well?
This crisp, crunchy, leafy Chinese cabbage has stellar nutrient qualities too. It's high in a host of nutrients, including essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, omega-3's and zinc. It's more tender than kale and offers a healthier alternative to lettuce in salads.
Here on the West Coast, we rarely have to complain about bitterly cold mornings, blizzards and snowdrifts, or ice on the inside of our windows. We watch newscasts about plunging temperatures in the eastern US and Canada and thank our lucky stars that we live where we do. No matter where we live, the weather affects us all, and while it's mild here, it can also be gray.
Day after day. Drizzly rain, cloud cover, more drizzle, and fog, especially where I live close to the ocean. We all comment when the sun peeks through, because it's a Big Deal.
This Baby Bok Choy Salad goes well with any Asian meal.
I crave colour at this time of year. I bring flowers into my home, choose bright shirts and sweaters from my closet, and make meals like this baby bok choy salad that fill my plate with a rainbow of cheerful colours.
But this salad adds much more than just colour and nutrition. The ginger-orange dressing adds another dimension and it must be tasted to be believed! It's a perfect match for any Asian-inspired salad you might make and once you try it, you'll be hooked.
So, consider brightening your day with this healthy Baby Bok Choy Salad! Choose vegetables and fruits that contrasted in flavour and texture, like baby bok choy and red pepper, green and red onion, a sweet navel orange and one of those fabulous crispy Asian pears that are available now.
Tossed with this Asian ginger-orange vinaigrette, this colourful healthy salad makes a perfect accompaniment to Crock-Pot Sticky Chicken. While Spring is still weeks away, this baby bok choy salad on your table today might make it seem a little closer!
Baby Bok Choy Salad with Ginger Orange Dressing
- 2 cups baby bok choy, chopped into ribbons
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 large orange, sectioned
- 1 medium, apple pear (Asian pear) peeled, cored and finely sliced
Ginger Orange Dressing
- 1 teaspoon shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest,
- ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, freshly ground to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Put all ingredients in a large serving bowl, If not serving immediately, add the Asian pear just before serving to prevent browning.
- Toss with dressing and serve.