Learn how to make peanut sauce, then adjust the seasonings to make it as mild or as spicy as you like. Follow these simple directions to make your own homemade Thai peanut sauce for spring rolls, satay sauce, noodles, power bowls and more!
There are many peanut sauce recipes and they're all a little different! After experimenting and testing different versions several times, this peanut sauce recipe with coconut milk is the one I like best. Today I'm here to explain how to make peanut sauce and why you should!
Once you've tasted homemade, you'll never go back to store-bought!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Peanut butter and coconut milk give this sauce a creamy texture, tamari adds a rich, deep salty flavour, rice vinegar and lime juice make it tangy, and Thai chili sauce adds lots of spicy sweetness. Add ginger and garlic to this mix and you have an incredibly tasty sauce to add lots of interest to your meals!
- This Thai peanut sauce recipe can easily be doubled or tripled so you can always have some on hand, ready to use in SO many ways! It's delicious as a veggie dip, over noodles, with spring rolls, or drizzled over roasted vegetables.
- Making homemade peanut sauce from scratch means you can avoid additives, adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes, and save money!
After having an incredible peanut sauce in a Thai restaurant while vacationing in Indonesia, I played with my recipe a little to make it lighter and creamier. This recipe for peanut sauce with coconut milk is the result.
Before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about the ingredients. You'll find amounts in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- creamy natural peanut butter: this recipe will not taste the same if you use peanut butter with sugar added, so be sure to use natural peanut butter
- canned coconut milk: canned, full-fat coconut milk will give this sauce that sought-after creamy texture.
- tamari (soy sauce): gluten-free, if necessary. For a paleo diet, substitute coconut aminos.
- rice vinegar
- garlic: fresh cloves are always best!
- fresh ginger
- sweet Thai chili sauce: there is no added sugar in this recipe as you'll use this sweet chili sauce instead.
- lime juice: freshly squeezed
Adjust the seasonings to suit your family's tastes! This version is quite mild, so you can easily increase the amount of ginger and sweet chili sauce if you want a spicier result.
🥄 Easy instructions!
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy. Use in your favourite recipe or store covered in the fridge.
❓Questions readers ask
Peanut sauce will last for up to a week when kept refrigerated in a covered container. If it thickens up, you can thin it out with a little water or coconut milk.
Peanut sauce freezes well. It will last for several months. Take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Yes! You can make almond sauce or almond dressing instead. Simply sub the same amount of almond butter for the peanut butter.
🍽 Ways to use peanut sauce
This recipe as written below makes approximately 1 ½ cups of sauce.
I store it in ½ or 1 cup glass jars in the fridge or freezer so it's ready to use for my favourite recipes.
- Simple Singapore Chicken Satay
- Thai Noodle Salad
- Try this Asian peanut sauce on Udon noodles or zucchini noodles, or with Thai lettuce wraps.
- Brighten up a power bowl or a Buddha bowl with a couple of tablespoons of this sauce. Sprinkle with finely chopped peanuts for extra crunch!
- It's amazing on a Thai-style pizza. Top your favourite gluten-free pizza crust with shredded chicken, shredded red cabbage and carrots, cilantro and peanut sauce!
- They'll be asking for seconds of broccoli salad when you toss it with peanut sauce!
- It makes a great dip for fresh veggies, too.
Double or triple the recipe and freeze what you won't be using right away. One 14 ounce (400 ml) can of coconut milk has about 1 ½ cups of milk, enough for a triple batch of the recipe below.
Enjoy every spoonful!
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes and tips straight to your inbox once a week.
This recipe was originally published in 2018. It has been updated with new photos and extra information to make it more helpful.
More easy recipes for sauces and seasonings
How to Make Peanut Sauce
- ½ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut aminos (for paleo diet) or tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic,
- ¼ inch knob of fresh ginger (or more)
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (or more)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until very smooth and creamy.
- Store in small glass jars in the refrigerator or freezer. This recipe makes about 1.5 cups.