This Lemon Garlic Chicken with Pasta is an easy weeknight meal that uses ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. No running to the store!
This Lemon Garlic Chicken with Pasta is a family-friendly, warm and cosy comfort meal. It's bursting with a warm lemony-garlicky-oniony sauce that gently coats the pasta. The best part? It uses simple ingredients that you probably have on hand, like onions, garlic, lemon juice, chicken broth and dried pasta.
If you don't have fresh lemons, leave them out. No fresh herbs? Use dried. It's a forgiving dish. Use whatever type of pasta your family likes: regular, whole wheat, or gluten-free.
I used a spelt egg noodle pasta that I discovered last month that has become my new personal favourite.
The weather is changing and so is my mood. After more than four months of very dry, sunny weather it suddenly looks like fall. Rain pounding outside on the patio and overflowing the gutters was a welcome sound from our bedroom window last night, since we have been on severe watering restrictions all summer. But I'm sad to see the summer go.
Fall brings new life to food bloggers, though. Pinterest is packed with recipes using apples and pears and yes, pumpkin already. I find myself thinking about stocking the freezer with easy weeknight meals, even though I'm not returning to my classroom this year and my weeknights are stress-free!
This Lemon Garlic Chicken would be a perfect candidate for a freezer meal like these easy favourite chicken dishes. Just brown the chicken in an oven-proof skillet, cook the sauce ingredients in the same pan, (did you read that? ONE pan) and bake in the oven while you boil the pasta and make a salad. Make double quantity of the chicken and freeze for another day.
Minimal dishes. Rave reviews. It's a win.
Lemon Garlic Chicken with Pasta
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, or gluten-free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, red or white
- 6 - 8 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 medium lemon sliced
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 400 grams dried pasta, gluten-free if necessary
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ - ½ cup fresh basil, or parsley or herbs of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet on stove top. When hot, add a high-heat tolerant oil like avocado oil or grapeseed to the skillet.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and dredge the chicken pieces in it.
- When the oil in the pan is rippling, carefully add the chicken, skin side down. Shake the pan gently to prevent sticking.
- Brown on one side for 5-6 minutes, then turn and brown on the other. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions very thinly and mince the garlic. Slice a lemon and measure the lemon juice and the chicken stock.
- Add onions to the hot skillet and cook until limp and transparent but not browned. Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the crushed red pepper, lemon juice and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, put chicken thighs back in on top of the onions and garlic, cover the skillet tightly (use foil if you don't have a lid) and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of generously salted water. Once it boils, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, toss with butter and fresh herbs. Mound the pasta in center of a plate or shallow bowl, place one or two thighs on top and spoon the lemon garlic sauce over all. Garnish with more fresh herbs and serve.