Fresh herbs and smoky bacon flavour this dinner of Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables. Crispy chicken and roasted vegetables make a complete meal, made in one pan, baked in just 30 minutes.
This sheet pan chicken dinner and roasted harvest vegetables looks like a hot mess, and that’s exactly what it is!
(This recipe has been incredibly popular. Originally published in 2016, I’ve updated it with new information. Enjoy!)
Fall vegetables, tossed on a sheet pan, drizzled with oil and fragrant herbs, topped with chicken and bacon results in a quick meal! Believe it or not, this dinner all turns out evenly cooked in 30 minutes. The trick is to bake it at a high heat and chop all the vegetables the same size.
Roasted tiny potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, shallots, and thick chunks of sweet apple made a beautiful coloured array of harvest vegetables. I used chicken thighs for this tasty recipe and they were perfectly seasoned and juicy with crispy, nicely browned skin.
One of my favourite meals to make in the fall has been Harvest Chicken with Bacon and Rosemary. It’s a one pot meal, bursting with flavour. But in my seemingly never-ending goal to make the easiest dinners possible, I adapted that recipe and made it even more simple. This Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables was the result.
It’s all baked on, you guessed it: one pan.
Ready to begin? Here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients for Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner and Roasted Harvest Vegetables
- chicken thighs: bone-in, skin on
- bacon: thick cut
- baby potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- apple: a sweet variety like Honeycrisp, Fuji or Gala
- herbs: fresh or dried rosemary and thyme
- marinade ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, dried red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
Tips for making Sheet Pan Chicken Dinners
- Prepare the marinade, add it to the chicken pieces in a marinating container or a zip lock bag. Massage it into the chicken thighs, then refrigerate while you prepare the vegetables.
- Try to cut all vegetables the same size so they’ll be ready at the same time.
- If you’re using boneless thighs, they will take about 10 minutes less to cook, so cut your vegetables in slightly smaller pieces.
- Don’t leave out the apple! The contrast of sweet apple and salty, smoky bacon is delicious!
- Leave the apple peel on so the slices keep their shape. Make sure you don’t slice the apple too thinly, or the slices may become too soft once baked.
- Arrange the vegetables in an even layer on a foil-lined sheet pan. Place the chicken pieces and bacon on top. The juices from the meat will drip down onto the veggies as they cook, adding lots of flavour. Drizzle the chicken and veggies with the remaining marinade.
- Bake until the chicken registers an internal temperature of at least 165°F. If the bacon isn’t crispy enough to your liking, put the sheet pan under the broiler for a few minutes.
You can easily substitute your favourite fall vegetables in this one-pan chicken dinner, like
- fingerling potatoes
- butternut or acorn squash
Just make sure you cut them in uniform sizes so they will cook at the same rate.
And if you like easy sheet pan dinners,
you may like these too!
- Maple Walnut Crusted Sheet Pan Halibut
- Prosciutto and Cheesy Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Hoisin Orange Sheet Pan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Harissa Chicken Sheet Pan Supper
- Maple Garlic Sheet Pan Dinner
- Thai Chili Sheet Pan Salmon
- Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos
Enjoy this easy one-pan meal!
Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables
- sheet pan
- 8-9 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- sea salt and pepper
- 24 baby potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium shallots
- medium zucchini
- 1 Honeycrisp apple (or other sweet apple) cut in 3/4 inch slices
- 1 tbsp each thyme and rosemary or 1 tsp each dried
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk marinade ingredients together. Pat chicken dry and place in a Ziplock bag. Pour marinade over all, close bag tightly and massage the marinade into all the chicken pieces. Refrigerate.
- Prepare a large sheet pan (with sides) by either lining it with foil or lightly coating it with oil or cooking spray.
- Chop vegetables so they are of uniform sizes. Leave apple unpeeled, remove the core and slice into 3/4 inch chunks. If they are thinner, they cook too quickly and become too soft.
- Arrange vegetables on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Chop bacon into 1-inch pieces and arrange randomly on the vegetables.
- Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables and drizzle with remaining marinade.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes or until chicken registers at least 165°F on a meat thermometer.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.