Fresh herbs and smoky bacon flavour this dinner of Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables. Crispy chicken and roasted vegetables make a complete meal, made in one pan, baked in just 30 minutes.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
One of my favourite meals to make in the fall has been Harvest Chicken with Bacon and Rosemary. It’s a one pot meal, bursting with flavour. But in my seemingly never-ending goal to make the easiest dinners possible, I adapted that recipe and made it even more simple. This Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables was the result. It’s all baked on, you guessed it: one pan.
This sheet pan chicken looks like a hot mess, and that’s exactly what it is! Harvest vegetables, tossed on a sheet pan, drizzled with oil and herbs and topped with chicken and bacon. Believe it or not, it all turns out evenly cooked in 30 minutes. The trick is to bake it at a high heat and chop all the vegetables the same size. Make sure you don’t slice the apples too thinly, or they’ll become too soft in the oven. I used chicken thighs for this tasty recipe and they were perfectly seasoned and juicy with crispy, nicely browned skin.
Roasted tiny potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, shallots, and thick chunks of sweet apple made a beautiful coloured array of fall vegetables. We loved the contrast of salty bacon and the sweet Honeycrisp apples that we had picked up at the farm just down the road a few hours earlier.
You can easily substitute your favourite fall vegetables in this sheet pan chicken supper, like
- fingerling potatoes
- butternut or acorn squash
Just make sure you cut them in uniform sizes so they will cook at the same rate. Use dense root vegetables if you’re using bone-in chicken as it takes longer to cook than boneless chicken. And if you like easy sheet pan dinners like this Sheet Pan Chicken, you may like this Maple Walnut Crusted Sheet Pan Halibut, or these Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos. Enjoy!
- 8-9 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- sea salt and pepper
- baby potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- 1 Honey crisp apple (or other sweet apple) cut in 3/4 inch slices
- fresh or dried thyme and rosemary
- sea salt and pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- Whisk marinade ingredients together. Pat chicken dry and place in a Ziplock bag. Pour marinade over all, close bag tightly and massage the marinade into all the chicken pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare a large sheet pan (with sides) by either lining it with foil or lightly coating it with oil or cooking spray.
- Chop vegetables so they are of uniform sizes. Leave apple unpeeled, remove the core and slice into 3/4 inch chunks. If they are thinner, they cook too quickly and become too soft.
- Arrange vegetables on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Chop bacon into 1-inch pieces and arrange randomly on the vegetables.
- Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables and drizzle with remaining marinade.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes or until chicken registers at least 165°F on a meat thermometer.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Kitchen Items I used to make Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. Funds earned simply help me to offset the costs of operating this blog and sharing recipes with you, my readers.