This easy Keto recipe for garlic parmesan chicken makes the best juicy tender chicken thighs or breasts with a crispy, flavourful coating! This chicken cooks unbelievably quickly in an air fryer without bread crumb coating and with very little oil! A family-friendly 30-minute meal!
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken: here's a "must-try" recipe!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Who knew you could successfully make Chicken Parmesan in an air fryer!
- The juiciest chicken: You'll be shocked at how quickly an air fryer can cook the most delicious, most juicy chicken with the crispiest coating! This is one of the easiest chicken recipes I've ever made. It's hard to believe that tender juicy chicken like this can be cooked with no bread crumb coating and very little oil!
- Leftovers are delicious! Not only that, if you have cooked more than you need, it's easy to reheat and serve another day. And again, your air fryer works beautifully to make it just as good the second day as it was the first!
- Gluten-free! This recipe for Air Fryer Parmesan Chicken is gluten-free and keto-friendly, too. Ready to make what's bound to become your new favourite crispy chicken?
chicken: this recipe works well with both bone-in chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
seasoning mix: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika
Parmesan cheese: Parmigiano Reggiano has by far the best flavour and texture
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
Here's a quick summary of how to make air fryer garlic parmesan chicken. You'll find detailed instructions in the recipe card below.
- Begin by brining the chicken parts. Brining is a quick technique that makes a big difference once the chicken is cooked. It makes chicken extra juicy, so be sure not to skip this step.
- Once the chicken has been brined, rinsed, and patted dry, it's time to season it.
- Rub the spice mix into both sides of the chicken parts, then arrange in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Air fry as directed below. You'll fry the chicken parts for a few minutes, then pause the fryer, add Parmesan cheese to the chicken, then continue cooking.
Boom! Perfectly cooked chicken with the tastiest crispy coating, whether you use bone-in, skin-on chicken, or boneless, skinless chicken!
⏰ How long should I air fry chicken thighs?
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs: air fry at 375°F. for 8 minutes, then pause the air fryer and remove the basket. Use tongs to flip the pieces over. Add a tablespoon or so of finely grated Parmesan cheese to the top of each thigh, then return the basket to the air fryer, reduce the temperature to 350°F. and cook for 4 minutes.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, air fry at 375°F. for 6 minutes, then pause the air fryer and remove the basket. Use tongs to flip the pieces over. Add a tablespoon or so of finely grated Parmesan cheese to the top of each breast, then return the basket to the air fryer, reduce the temperature to 350°F. and cook for 4 minutes.
❓How long to air fry if I only want two thighs or breasts?
The cooking time will remain the same, whether you have two or four.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
All air fryers are different. Depending on the size and type you own, you may have to fry the chicken longer.
Air frying times will vary with the size of the chicken thighs you have, too. It's best to use an instant-read meat thermometer to check that you have cooked the wings to a temperature that is safe to eat. (165°F.)
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This air fryer parmesan-crusted chicken goes well with almost any side dishes or salads! Since it already has parmesan cheese in the coating, it's a good idea to choose sides that don't have cheese.
Serve it with your favourite side dishes, or try any of these healthy salads:
Storage and reheating instructions
Refrigerate leftover cooked chicken promptly. To reheat, brush the basket with a very thin layer of oil, then heat the chicken at 350°F. for 3 - 5 minutes or until heated through.
🗒 More Air Fryer Recipes
When you make this Ninja air fryer parmesan-crusted chicken recipe, let me know in the comments section below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 4 medium bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs OR boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt*
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Brine the chicken parts first. Add ¼ cup salt to a bowl (or zipper-closure bag) of slightly warm water. Add the chicken thighs or breasts and let them sit in this brine for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is brining, combine the seasonings for the rub.
- Drain the salt water mixture, rinse the chicken with cool water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Toss the chicken parts with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then rub the spice mixture into both sides.
- For bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, air fry at 375°F. for 8 minutes, then pause the air fryer and remove the basket. Use tongs to flip the pieces over. For boneless, skinless breasts, air fry at 375°F. for 6 minutes.
- Place a tablespoon or so of grated parmesan cheese on top of each of hte pieces of chicken. Return the basket to the fryer and fry at 350°F. for 4 minutes (both thighs and breasts.) With an instant-read meat thermometer, check that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
- Remove with tongs and serve.