This vegetarian Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup is a little sweet with a bit of a kick! This healthy sweet potato soup is perfect for vegan and paleo diets!
A bowl of this Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup makes a comforting meal on a cold fall or winter day!
We had one of the coldest winters we've had in several years. Fighting off colds and 'flu can be challenging at this time of year, but the foods we eat can certainly help.
While comforting meals like mac 'n cheese might sound appealing on chilly days, choosing healthier options, like this sweet potato turmeric soup can go a long way towards building our immune systems and keeping us healthy.
I'm always seeking new ways to add turmeric into my diet, even if in small amounts. I know it's a powerful anti-inflammatory and has a host of other nutritional benefits, so stirring even a little to this healthy sweet potato soup seemed like a good idea. It added just enough of a kick to keep this soup interesting.
Adding hot and spicy comfort foods to my diet is one way I've found to beat the cold. This slow cooker soup is sweet and spicy, it's rich and creamy, and it rates right up high on the comfort level my other sweet potato soup recipes!
You'll love this Hearty Vegan Sweet Potato Corn Chowder and this southwestern-flavoured Smoky Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup. And if you love the ease of cooking soup in a slow cooker, you'll want to make my Slow Cooker Texas Black Bean Soup.
Ready to make a pot of healthy sweet potato soup? Here's your grocery list!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
- sweet potatoes: you'll peel and dice them. Choose small to medium potatoes as the larger ones may be starchy. Look for those with smooth, firm skin. In general, the deeper the colour, the richer it will be in beta-carotene, an antioxidant.
- carrots: peeled and sliced
- aromatics: diced onion and roughly chopped garlic cloves
- vegetable broth
- spices: turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper
- oil: for sautéing the vegetables
How to Make Healthy Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup
- Use your slow cooker, an Instant Pot or just simmer in a large pot on your stove top. Any method you use to make this soup will still produce a warm, comforting bowl of deliciousness! I've included detailed instructions for all three methods in the recipe card below, but here's an overview of what you'll do.
- Sauté onions, garlic and carrots in oil until the onions are translucent, but not browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper. Start with 1 teaspoon of turmeric. You can always add more later, but if you add too much, you may find it too spicy.
- Cook in your choice of appliance: slow cooker, Instant Pot or in a large pot on the stove top until vegetables are tender.
- Purée in a blender or with an immersion blender. If you use a blender, purée in batches, filling the blender container only half full. Transfer to a large bowl, stir until uniformly mixed, then serve.
Can I freeze this Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup?
Yes! Allow the soup to cool completely, then transfer to airtight containers, label and freeze for up to 4 to 6 months.
What to Serve with this healthy Sweet Potato Soup
Have fun with adding garnish ingredients to this soup! Try:
- crispy sliced and fried shallots
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- roasted chickpeas
- baked beet or carrot chips
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
5 Clean-Eating Instant Pot Soup Recipes to keep you healthy.
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 - 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 - 2 tsp ground turmeric *see note below
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt and pepper
- Saute onion, garlic and carrots in oil until onions are translucent.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, turmeric, paprika and salt and pepper.
For Instant Pot
- Secure lid, set to Manual for 20 minutes. Use the quick release function.
For Slow Cooker
- Put lid on, cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
For all Cooking Methods
- Once fully cooked and vegetables are tender, purée soup with an immersion blender or transfer in batches to a high speed blender.
Kitchen Items I recommend to make this recipe
Looking for more ways to add turmeric to your diet?
Check the delicious options in this post.
Love Sweet Potatoes? Try these recipes, too.
- Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Make-Ahead Duchess Sweet Potatoes
- Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges
- Roasted Sweet Potato Spinach Salad with Maple Walnuts and Bacon
- Sweet Potato Frittata with Fresh Salsa
- Hoisin Orange Sheet Pan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.