This chunky wholesome vegan black bean soup can simmer all day in your slow cooker. Made with canned items, it's a healthy but effortless family meal. Dump and go!
❤️ Why you'll love this slow cooker black bean soup
- Hearty black beans and corn in a chunky tomato broth seasoned with smoky chipotle, this Slow Cooker Vegan Black Bean Soup makes an easy meatless family meal for a cool day.
- Made with organic canned ingredients, it's a flavourful "dump and go" soup!
- This recipe is mildly spicy, but you can make it milder or fiery hot by adjusting the amount of chipotle powder or the green chilies or by using Mexican stewed tomatoes.
- Simmering soup in a slow cooker is so convenient and I love the aromas that waft through the kitchen. Try this Slow Cooker Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup , Vegan Sweet Potato Corn Chowder or this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup if you're looking for healthy soup ideas.
- And if you want to make chili in your Instant Pot today, you might like the bold flavours in this Instant Pot Vegan Chipotle Chili.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with quantities in the recipe card below.
- canned black beans
- canned stewed tomatoes
- canned diced tomatoes
- vegetable broth: store-bought or homemade
- corn kernels, canned or frozen
- canned chopped green chilies
- green onions, thinly sliced
- chipotle chili powder: You can adjust the amount according to your family's tastes
- ground cumin
- garlic cloves: Fresh cloves add the best flavour.
An easy slow cooker recipe!
There's no need to brown any ingredients with this crockpot black bean soup recipe. Simply combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cover it with a lid.
Let it work its magic for a few hours while you go off and do something you enjoy. When it's ready, ladle it into bowls and let your family go wild with all the fixin's!
❓ What toppings go well with this homemade soup?
I like this Texas Black Bean Soup topped with Southwestern-flavoured additions. Try any or all of the following favorite toppings:
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- cilantro leaves
- crispy store-bought tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt (or vegan sour cream)
❓ Can I make this black bean soup on the stovetop?
Yes! Just combine all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pan and simmer on the stovetop for 45 minutes to an hour until well heated through. Garnish as usual.
🔁 Can I freeze this black bean soup?
Yes again! This vegan black bean soup freezes well. Portion it into glass containers with tight-fitting lids, chill, then freeze. When ready to serve, thaw and heat on the stovetop. Don't forget those toppings!
🗒 More slow cooker recipes
🌟 Did you make this recipe?
When you make this black bean soup, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance!
This recipe was originally published in 2017. It has been updated with extra information.
Slow Cooker Vegan Texas Black Bean Soup
- 2 19 oz. (560 ml) cans organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz (428 ml) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. (828 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups corn kernels, canned or frozen
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
- 4 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin,
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a 3-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Serve as is, or if you prefer a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to purée half the soup and leave the other half chunky.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, crispy tortilla strips, cilantro, lime wedges and sour cream (if not vegan).