This chunky homemade wholesome vegan Texas black bean soup can simmer all day in your slow cooker. Made with canned items, it’s a healthy but effortless family meal.
Hearty black beans and corn in a chunky tomato broth seasoned with smoky chipotle, this Slow Cooker Vegan Black Bean Soup makes an easy meatless family meal for a cool day. Made with organic canned ingredients, it’s a flavourful “dump and go” soup!
This recipe is mildly spicy, but you can make it milder or fiery hot by adjusting the amount of chipotle powder or the green chilies or by using Mexican stewed tomatoes.
Easiest. Recipe. Ever!! There’s no need to brown any ingredients with this recipe. Simply combine all ingredients in a slow cooker, put the lid on and let it work its magic for a few hours while you go off and do something you enjoy. When it’s ready, spoon into bowls and let your family go wild with all the fixin’s!
Simmering soup in a slow cooker is so convenient and I love the aromas that waft through the kitchen. Try this Slow Cooker Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup , Vegan Sweet Potato Corn Chowder or this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup if you’re looking for healthy soup ideas.
And if you want to make soup in your Instant Pot today, you might like the bold flavours in this Instant Pot Vegan Chipotle Chili.
What toppings go well with this soup?
We like this Texas Black Bean Soup topped with Southwestern-flavoured toppings. Try any or all the following:
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- cilantro leaves
- crispy store-bought tortilla strips
- sour cream or Greek yogurt (or Vegan Sour Cream)
Can I make this Chunky Black Bean Soup on the stove top?
Yes! Just combine all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pan and simmer on the stove top for 45 minutes to an hour until well heated through. Garnish as usual.
Can I freeze this Texas Black Bean Soup?
Yes again! This black bean soup freezes well. Portion it into glass containers with tight-fitting lids, chill, then freeze. When ready to serve, thaw and heat on the stove top. Don’t forget those toppings!
Slow Cooker Vegan Texas Black Bean Soup
- 2 19 oz. cans organic black beans,, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 -14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups corn kernels, canned or frozen
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a 3-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Serve as is, or if you prefer a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to purée half the soup and leave the other half chunky.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, crispy tortilla strips, cilantro, lime wedges and sour cream (if not vegan).
Looking for more hearty soup ideas?
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- One-Pot Healthy Tuscan Minestrone Soup
- 8 Comforting Homemade Dairy-Free Soup Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.