This Smoked Salmon Dip recipe or spread is made with feta and sour cream and flavoured with lemon and dill. It's a classic make-ahead appetizer dip! Low-carb and Keto.
Smoked Salmon Feta Dip! It's a classic crowd-pleaser dip or spread that always gets devoured quickly when I serve it.
❤️ Why this recipe works
This is a dip that you can serve at a casual get-together with friends or as a starter for an elegant dinner. It's soft and creamy and makes a great dip for crudités or a spread for crackers. If you're looking for a smoked salmon dip without cream cheese, this recipe is for you!
This dip recipe has been so popular that I've added it to my collection of 9 Easy Healthy Dip Recipes.
You can buy pre-made smoked salmon dip at your local grocery, but once you taste this homemade dip, you'll never choose store-bought dip again! Homemade smoked salmon dip has so much more flavour! Not only that, you know exactly what is in it when you make it yourself.
While smoked salmon can be expensive, a little goes a long way. Serving it as a dip or spread is a good way to stretch it.
Ready to get started? Here's what you'll need to make this make-ahead smoked salmon feta dip! While many smoked salmon dip recipes use cream cheese as the base, this one uses feta cheese whipped with sour cream and mayonnaise to make it lighter and fluffier.
- feta cheese: regular or light, your choice
- sour cream: regular or low fat, or you can substitute thick Greek yogurt
- mayonnaise: low fat
- lemon zest: adds so much fresh lemon flavour
- dill: While salmon and dill go well together, you could substitute chives if you'd like.
- crushed red pepper flakes: will add a little kick to your dip
- pepper: just a hint
- smoked salmon: I used hot-smoked salmon. A little goes a long way! There are two kinds of smoked salmon. Cold smoked is cured with salt, then thinly sliced. Hot smoked is cooked in a smoker and flaked.
- Combine all ingredients except smoked salmon in a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add smoked salmon to the bowl of the food processor and pulse until combined, but still a little chunky. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, adding extra pepper or dried red pepper flakes.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl and garnish with extra dill or small pieces of smoked salmon.
- Serve with fresh veggies, like broccoli, celery, bell peppers, carrots, kohlrabi sticks, snow peas, or even thinly sliced apples.
- Add a small spoon or spreading knife to the bowl so your guests can spread this smoked salmon dip on crackers, pita crisps or toasted baguette slices.
- Eat this delicious seafood dip right away, or cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Yes! You can make this ahead of time!
You can make this up to three days in advance. Keep it covered in the fridge.
🔁 Possible Variations
Use this as a basic recipe and make this dip your own! Here are some suggested additions.
- a dash of Tabasco
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- substitute parsley or chives for the dill
- substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream
❤️ Love smoked salmon? Try these recipes, too.
While it's delicious to just eat in small chunks as finger food, we also love these Smoked Salmon Crostini with Whipped Goat Cheese, Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms and these bite-sized Smoked Salmon Zucchini Cakes.
🗒More dip recipes to try
📖 Recipe Card
Smoked Salmon Feta Dip
- 4 oz feta cheese (½ cup)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- Combine all ingredients except smoked salmon in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add smoked salmon to the mixture and pulse until combined, leaving a few chunks for texture.