This Southwestern Fruit Salad with Grilled Prawns and Tequila Lime Dressing blends fresh fruit from the sunny south with wild-caught seafood. A healthy shrimp fruit salad with a little Southwest heat!
Here's the thing about this Southwestern Fruit Salad with Grilled Prawns: you must try it now! It's just that good.
This fruit and shrimp salad is quick, it's easy, it's sweet and juicy, and it's packed full of protein from fresh prawns or shrimp. Not only that, it has just the right amount of crunch from romaine and jicama and a little bite from hot peppers!
It's tossed in a to-die-for lime dressing: a tequila lime dressing that puts this southwestern fruit and shrimp salad over the top!
When I think of the food we have enjoyed the most during our trips to Mexico over the years, fresh fruit ripened in the southern sunshine springs to mind. Jicama soaked in lime juice, tequila, hot peppers and fresh prawns all bring back fond food memories.
It's time to recreate those flavours at home in this Southwestern Fruit Salad! Here's what you'll need.
- cantaloupe chunks
- honeydew melon chunks
- pineapple chunks
- mango, peeled and cubed
- oranges, in sections
- strawberries, sliced
- jicama, julienne cut or very finely chopped
- crisp romaine leaves: these will form a bed for the fruit
- poblano pepper or finely minced ancho chili pepper. An ancho chili is a dried poblano pepper. Poblano peppers are quite mild. Ancho chilis have much more heat.
- grilled prawns: toss with a little garlic butter, skewer and grill
- Begin by making the Tequila Lime Dressing. Combine lime juice and zest, honey and tequila in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the cilantro and process until smooth. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil to emulsify. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the prawns (or large shrimp.) Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in minced garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Thread shrimp onto skewers and brush with 2 tablespoons of the garlic.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Add skewers to grill, and cook, for 2 minutes on each side, just until the shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Combine all salad ingredients except the seafood in a large salad bowl.
- Toss with tequila lime dressing, and top with fresh grilled prawns or shrimp.
Why should you make this Southwestern fruit salad?
- it's sweet
- it's spicy
- it has a little heat from the peppers
- tequila adds a zing!
Store leftover salad and dressing separately in covered container in the fridge. This shrimp fruit salad is best if used within a day or two.
Southwestern Fruit Salad with Grilled Prawns
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cubed or in balls
- 1 cup honeydew melon, cubed or in balls
- ½ cup pineapple, cubed
- 1 mango, cubed
- 2 oranges, sectioned
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced or halved
- ½ cup jicama, julienne cut or finely chopped
- 3 tbsp poblano pepper OR 1 tablespoon ancho chili pepper finely minced
- romaine leaves
- 1.5 lbs prawns or large shrimp
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Tequila Lime Dressing
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp tequila
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Tequila Lime Dressing
- Combine lime juice and zest, honey and tequila in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add cilantro and process until smooth. With machine running, slowly add the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to allow flavours to blend.
Grilled Prawns (or Shrimp)
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in minced garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers and brush with 2 tablespoons of the garlic butter.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Add skewers to grill, and cook for 2 minutes on each side, just until the prawns are pink and opaque.
- Combine all ingredients except seafood in a large salad bowl, toss with tequila lime dressing, and top with fresh grilled prawns or shrimp.