Not your typical summer fruit salad, this honeydew blueberry salad with blue cheese makes an impressive starter or side. With cool, crisp cucumbers and a mint lime dressing, this honeydew melon salad recipe is healthy and refreshing!
Perfect for warm summer days! This honeydew blueberry salad was a great way to whet our appetites recently when we grilled these Cajun Chicken Thighs for dinner. A chilled, naturally sweet salad was a good contrast to spicy chicken.
Next time you're shopping, don't pass up the honeydew melons! Find a perfectly ripe honeydew, and make this salad! Here's what you'll need:
🛒 Ingredients and possible substitutions
- honeydew melon: see how to choose a honeydew melon
- blueberries: fresh, or frozen and thawed
- blue cheese: I like the strong contrast of blue cheese with the mild honeydew melon, but feel free to substitute other cheese. Try feta or goat cheese or even shavings of Parmigiana Reggiano
- fresh mint leaves
- dressing: mint, lime juice, honey, olive oil, pinch of salt
Here's a quick overview. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Whisk the Mint Lime Dressing ingredients together and set aside to let the flavours blend.
- Place a wedge of fresh honeydew melon in the center of a shallow bowl or plate.
- Top with sliced cucumbers, blueberries and crumbled blue cheese.
- Add a few fresh mint leaves.
- Just before serving, drizzle with dressing.
How to choose a honeydew melon
- Look at the skin. It should be dull. If it's shiny, it's probably overripe.
- Choose one that has no soft spots or signs of damage.
- The melon should be fairly heavy for its size.
- Most importantly, find the end where it was joined to the vine and have a sniff. It should smell fresh and sweet.
Make this salad ahead of time
You can assemble this salad ahead of time! Arrange the ingredients, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. It will be deliciously chilled at serving time. Then just drizzle with dressing and enjoy!
Honeydew Blueberry Salad with Blue Cheese
- 1/2 large honeydew melon, sliced in 4 wedges
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh, or frozen and thawed
- 1 long English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Mint Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch flaky sea salt
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together or shake in a small jar. Set aside to allow the flavours to blend while you assemble the salad.
- Cut a melon in half, remove the seeds, then slice one half into four wedges.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, remove the seeds by scraping down the length with a teaspoon, then cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place a wedge of honeydew melon in the center of a shallow bowl or small plate. Add cucumber slices, blueberries, crumbled blue cheese, and a few fresh mint leaves.
- At this point, if you're not serving the salad right away, you can cover the bowls or plates with plastic wrap and chill.
- Drizzle with Mint Lime Dressing and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking toAmazon.com and affiliated sites.