Not your typical summer fruit salad, this honeydew melon salad with blueberries and blue cheese makes an impressive starter or side. With cool, crisp cucumbers and a mint lime dressing, this honeydew salad recipe is healthy and refreshing!
Perfect for warm summer days! This honeydew melon salad was a great way to whet our appetites recently when we grilled these Cajun Chicken Thighs for dinner. A chilled, naturally sweet salad was a good contrast to spicy chicken.
❤️ Why this recipe works
The colours! Cool greens and blues scream "refreshing" on a warm spring or summer day. This recipe has a beautiful contrast of mild sweet melon and strong salty cheese. Blueberries give it an extra pop of subtle sweetness, too.
This "cool as a cucumber" honeydew salad is topped off with the most delicious mint and lime dressing!
Next time you're shopping, don't pass up the honeydew melons! Find a perfectly ripe honeydew, and make this honeydew melon salad with blueberries! Here's what you'll need:
🛒 Ingredients and possible substitutions
- honeydew melon: see "how to choose a honeydew melon" below. If you don't have honeydew melon, you can substitute cantaloupe melon.
- cucumber: summer fresh, crisp and cool!
- blueberries: fresh, or frozen and thawed
- blue cheese: I like the strong contrast of blue cheese with the mild honeydew melon, but feel free to substitute other cheese. This salad is delicious with feta or goat cheese, Stilton, or even shavings of Parmigiana Reggiano.
- fresh mint leaves
- dressing: mint, lime juice, honey, olive oil, a pinch of salt
Here's a quick overview. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Whisk the Mint Lime Dressing ingredients together and set aside to let the flavours blend.
- Place a wedge of fresh honeydew melon in the center of a shallow bowl or plate, or slice it into smaller bite-sized pieces if you'd prefer.
- Top with sliced cucumbers, blueberries and crumbled blue cheese.
- Add a few fresh mint leaves.
- Just before serving, drizzle with the mint and lime dressing.
How to choose a honeydew melon
- Look at the skin. It should be dull. If it's shiny, it's probably overripe.
- Choose one that has no soft spots or signs of damage.
- The melon should be fairly heavy for its size.
- Most importantly, find the end where it was joined to the vine and have a sniff. It should smell fresh and sweet.
Is honeydew melon a healthy choice?
Honeydew melon has many surprising health benefits! Low in calories and rich in nutrients, honeydew melon is also a good way to hydrate! While it is made up mostly of water, it may be an even better way to hydrate than water alone as it contains electrolytes.
Make this melon salad ahead of time
You can assemble this salad ahead of time! Arrange the ingredients, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. It will be deliciously chilled at serving time. Then just drizzle with dressing and enjoy!
🗒 More healthy melon recipes
Check out these recipes for refreshing cantaloupe salads and more ways to use honeydew melon!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Honeydew Blueberry Salad with Blue Cheese
- ½ large honeydew melon, sliced in 4 wedges
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh, or frozen and thawed
- 1 long English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- ⅓ cup blue cheese, crumbled
Mint Lime Dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch flaky sea salt
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together or shake in a small jar. Set aside to allow the flavours to blend while you assemble the salad.
- Cut a melon in half, remove the seeds, then slice one half into four wedges.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, remove the seeds by scraping down the length with a teaspoon, then cut into ¼ inch slices.
- Place a wedge of honeydew melon in the center of a shallow bowl or small plate. Add cucumber slices, blueberries, crumbled blue cheese, and a few fresh mint leaves.
- At this point, if you're not serving the salad right away, you can cover the bowls or plates with plastic wrap and chill.
- Drizzle with Mint Lime Dressing and serve.