Sweet honeydew, tart blackberries and pungent basil combine to make this refreshing Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil. This simple honeydew melon salad is as appetizing to look at as it is to eat. Only 3 ingredients!
This Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil is just that--honeydew melon, blackberries and basil. It hardly needs a recipe and yet . . . here it is!
Being a true Canadian, I'm apologizing before I even start! #Sorrynotsorry. But this salad is so pretty, and so tasty, that I just had to post it here.
❤️Why you'll love this salad
- Just looking at this salad makes you feel cool and refreshed! Sweet juicy honeydew is great for hydrating on a warm day.
- This blackberry honeydew melon salad is easy to put together at the last minute if you like, OR it can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.
- It pairs well with grilled meats or fish and can even be served as dessert!
Salads made with melon are ideal for summer. They're so refreshing and they help to keep you hydrated during hot weather. You might also like these melon salads! If you're planning a summer party, have a look at these recipes for inspiration, too!
- Greek Watermelon Basil Salad. Every summer party needs a watermelon salad!
- Mediterranean Cantaloupe Salad with Olives and Mint. This one has so much flavour! Sweet and salty, all in one bite.
- Cantaloupe Arugula Sala. Dressed with a sweet poppy seed dressing, it's an incredibly easy salad to make.
- Honeydew Blueberry Salad with Blue Cheese. Delicious with a mint-lime dressing!
- And don't forget a fun melon mocktail: Honeydew Lime Mocktail with Mint!
This salad combines two favourite fruits: honeydew melon and blackberries! Blackberries are considered to be a superfood, so adding them into your diet in delicious ways is a great way to get anti-oxidants!
To make this simple honeydew melon salad, you'll need:
- honeydew melon: see the section below for how to choose a ripe melon
- blackberries: or blueberries.
- basil: fresh leaves, either chiffonade cut or simply chopped and sprinkled.
- a simple vinaigrette: olive oil and lemon juice, honey, optional poppy seeds, salt and pepper. To keep it vegan, sub agave syrup for the honey.
🔪Let's make this Blackberry Honeydew Salad!
- Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds. Slice the melon into strips, then cut the strips into bite-sized pieces, being careful not to cut through the skin.
- Remove the rind by running a knife between the rind and the base of the cuts you've just made.
- Arrange the honeydew cubes on a platter, sprinkle with blackberries, basil leaves and a sprinkle or two of sea salt.
- Top with a drizzle of Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Serve, and accept all the rave reviews!
You may be wondering . . .
Wondering how to choose a honeydew melon?
The hardest part of this recipe is finding a perfectly ripe honeydew melon. If you've ever had one that is not at the peak of perfection, you have probably found it to be tasteless or even mealy.
Sometimes I just hold my breath and hope for the best, but here are a few tips to help you choose a ripe one.
- Look at the skin. It should be dull. If it's shiny, it's probably overripe.
- Choose one that has no soft spots or signs of damage.
- The melon should be fairly heavy for its size.
- Most importantly, find the end where it was joined to the vine and have a sniff. It should smell fresh and sweet.
Make ahead of time! You can make this honeydew melon salad a day before you play to serve it. Wait until serving time to add the sprinkle of salt and the dressing.
Store leftover salad covered in the fridge. It will last for up to 3 days.
🔁 Possible Variations
Make a Honeydew Blackberry Salad with Mint instead! Add a small handful of finely chopped mint leaves to your finished salad instead of basil. Incredibly refreshing!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This cool, refreshing honeydew melon salad goes well with any grilled or baked meats. I like it with any of the following:
- Grilled Cajun Chicken Thighs with Zesty Quinoa
- Easy Thai Baked Chicken
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- 5-Ingredient Chili Lime Drumsticks
- Easy Honey Chili Lime Glazed Salmon
When you make this honeydew salad, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
This honeydew melon salad recipe was originally published in 2017. It has been updated with new photos and extra information.
Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil
- 1 medium honeydew melon, cubed
- 1 cup blackberries
- 4 large basil leaves, chiffonade cut
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoon liquid honey, or maple syrup for vegan diet
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- sea salt to taste
- Slice honeydew melon in half and remove seeds. Cut into strips, then slice into bite-sized pieces, being carefully not ot cut all the way through the rind. Remove rind by running a knife between the edge of the rind and the base of the cuts you just made. Arrange on a platter with blackberries. Garnish with basil leaves.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and drizzle on salad just before serving.