Sweet honeydew, tart blackberries and pungent basil combine to make this fresh Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil as appetizing to look at as it is to eat. Only 3 ingredients!
This Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil is just that--honeydew melon, blackberries and basil. It hardly needs a recipe and yet . . . here it is!
Being a true Canadian, I'm apologizing before I even start! #Sorrynotsorry. But this salad is so pretty, and so tasty, that I just had to post it here.
To make this simple honeydew melon salad, you'll need:
honeydew melon: see the section below for how to choose a ripe melon
blackberries: or blueberries
basil: fresh leaves
a simple vinaigrette: olive oil and lemon juice, honey, optional poppyseeds, salt and pepper.
- Cut the melon in half, scoop out the seeds, dice the fruit and remove the rind.
- Arrange on a platter, sprinkle with blackberries, basil leaves and a sprinkle or two of sea salt.
- Top with a drizzle of Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Serve, and accept all the rave reviews!
👍🏼How to choose a honeydew melon
The hardest part of this recipe is finding a perfectly ripe honeydew melon. If you've ever had one that is not at the peak of perfection, you have probably found it to be tasteless or even mealy. Sometimes I just hold my breath and hope for the best, but here are a few tips to help you choose a ripe one.
- Look at the skin. It should be dull. If it's shiny, it's probably overripe.
- Choose one that has no soft spots or signs of damage.
- The melon should be fairly heavy for its size.
- Most importantly, find the end where it was joined to the vine and have a sniff. It should smell fresh and sweet.
I was a happy camper when I cut this one in half. Perfection!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This cool, refreshing honeydew melon salad goes well with any grilled or baked meats. We like it with any of the following:
Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil
- 1 medium honeydew melon cubed
- 1 cup blackberries
- 4 large basil leaves chiffonade cut
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- ½ tsp poppy seeds, optional
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slice honeydew melon in half and remove seeds. Remove rind and chop into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on a platter with blackberries. Garnish with basil leaves.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and drizzle on salad just before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.