Sweet honeydew, tart blackberries and pungent basil combine to make this fresh Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil as appetizing to look at as it is to eat. Only 3 ingredients!
This Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil is just that--honeydew melon, blackberries and basil. It hardly needs a recipe and yet . . . here it is!
Being a true Canadian, I'm apologizing before I even start! #Sorrynotsorry. But this salad is so pretty, and so tasty, that I just had to post it here.
❤️Why you'll love this salad
Just looking at this salad makes you feel cool and refreshed! Sweet juicy honeydew is great for hydrating on a warm day.
This blackberry honeydew melon salad is easy to put together at the last minute if you like, OR it can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.
It pairs well with grilled meats or fish and can even be served as dessert!
To make this simple honeydew melon salad, you'll need:
honeydew melon: see the section below for how to choose a ripe melon
blackberries: or blueberries
basil: fresh leaves
a simple vinaigrette: olive oil and lemon juice, honey, optional poppyseeds, salt and pepper. To keep it vegan, sub agave syrup for the honey.
🔪Let's make this Blackberry Honeydew Salad!
- Cut the melon in half, scoop out the seeds, dice the fruit and remove the rind.
- Arrange on a platter, sprinkle with blackberries, basil leaves and a sprinkle or two of sea salt.
- Top with a drizzle of Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Serve, and accept all the rave reviews!
👍🏼How to choose a honeydew melon
The hardest part of this recipe is finding a perfectly ripe honeydew melon. If you've ever had one that is not at the peak of perfection, you have probably found it to be tasteless or even mealy.
Sometimes I just hold my breath and hope for the best, but here are a few tips to help you choose a ripe one.
- Look at the skin. It should be dull. If it's shiny, it's probably overripe.
- Choose one that has no soft spots or signs of damage.
- The melon should be fairly heavy for its size.
- Most importantly, find the end where it was joined to the vine and have a sniff. It should smell fresh and sweet.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This cool, refreshing honeydew melon salad goes well with any grilled or baked meats. We like it with any of the following:
- Grilled Cajun Chicken Thighs with Zesty Quinoa
- Easy Thai Baked Chicken
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- 5-Ingredient Chili Lime Drumsticks
- Easy Honey Chili Lime Glazed Salmon
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Blackberry Honeydew Salad with Basil
- 1 medium honeydew melon cubed
- 1 cup blackberries
- 4 large basil leaves chiffonade cut
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp liquid honey, or maple syrup for vegan diet
- ½ tsp poppy seeds, optional
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slice honeydew melon in half and remove seeds. Remove rind and chop into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on a platter with blackberries. Garnish with basil leaves.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and drizzle on salad just before serving.