This Sun-dried Tomato Artichoke Penne Pasta has robust Italian flavours of tomatoes, artichokes, garlic and Parmesan cheese, all in one gluten-free pasta and chicken dish!
Every time I made my Baked Sun-dried Tomato and Artichoke Chicken recipe, I'd say to Denis, "Wouldn't this be great on pasta?"
So I finally got busy and I've adapted my favourite Italian-inspired chicken recipe to include gluten-free pasta. I used penne pasta for this chicken pasta bake recipe, but fusilli will work well, too.
When I first discovered that gluten and I were not good friends, I gave up eating pasta. In recent years, gluten-free pastas have improved significantly, both in taste and in texture. You can now find a variety of brands offering gluten-free choices.
❤️ Why this recipe works
This Sun-dried Tomato Artichoke Penne Pasta dish is rich and creamy, it's garlicky and spicy, and it's the ultimate comfort food for a fall or winter day.
Italian herbs like basil, oregano and thyme add colour and fresh flavour to tender pasta and lean chunks of skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs. Pasta cooked until the al dente stage holds its shape and has a warm appetizing colour too.
This is a simple chicken and pasta recipe flavoured with sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. It's ideal for a weeknight meal.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients in the recipe card below. I've included a few notes about some of the ingredients.
- chicken: boneless, skinless breasts or thighs
- white wine: is optional. If you leave it out, add a little more chicken broth instead.
- sun-dried tomatoes: you'll want the oil-packed variety
- artichoke hearts: use the marinated variety that comes in a jar.
- herbs: fresh or dried
- heavy cream: for a rich, creamy texture. You can substitute a non-dairy milk, but it won't be as thick and creamy.
- Parmesan cheese: freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano has the best flavour.
- gluten-free pasta: your choice of shape
Here's a brief overview of what you'll do to make this chicken pasta bake. You'll find complete directions in the recipe card below.
- Brown cubes of boneless chicken in a skillet, remove to a plate, then sauté garlic in the same pan.
- Add the chicken broth, white wine (optional), oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, and fresh herbs.
- Stir in a little cream to thicken the sauce, then add the chicken back in.
- Combine with the cooked penne pasta (with a ¼ cup of the pasta water) and the Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 5 - 7 minutes, just until the chicken is heated through and the cheese has melted.
That's it! Easy comfort food for us gluten-free types who have been longing for pasta.
Sun Dried Tomato Artichoke Penne Pasta--gluten-free
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ - ½ cup white wine (optional)
- 6 oz sliced, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (170ml)
- 6 oz marinated artichoke hearts (170ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoon each dried thyme, basil and oregano (or 1 tablespoon each fresh thyme, basil and oregano, plus more for garnish)
- ¼- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz gluten-free pasta (340 gm)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes. Pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Put chicken in pan. Shake the pan just a little to prevent sticking. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes until lightly browned on all sides.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add chopped garlic cloves to the pan and cooking, stirring until just starting to brown.
- Stir in chicken broth, white wine (optional), sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, thyme, oregano and basil. Continue to cook until liquid is reduced slightly, then stir in heavy cream. Add chicken back in.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving ¼ to ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Combine pasta, chicken mixture, half the Parmesan cheese and a little of the pasta water until you have your desired consistency, then spread in an ovenproof 9 x 13 pan. Top with the remaining ½ cup of freshly grated Parmesan.
- Bake at 400°F for 5 - 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese has melted. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Kathi @ laughingspatula
What a clever flavor combo! I live in Seattle and we are preparing for the storm as well (aka: stocking the wine rack). This is perfect comfort food for a day like this!
Flavour & Savour
I hope this storm is not as bad as all the news reports are making it out to be. I just heard that the ferries from Vancouver to the Island have all been cancelled this afternoon! I like you're style of emergency prep!!