This Sweet and Spicy Pretzel and Nut Snack Mix is a popular cocktail party snack to make and have on hand for holiday nibbling! Quick to make with mixed nuts, pretzels, and a slightly spicy and sweet glaze!
Having a bowl of sweet and spicy nuts on the coffee table during the holidays is Christmas tradition in many families, including mine!
Every holiday season, I make a big batch of Sweet and Spicy Rosemary Nuts or one of these 7 Holiday Spiced Nuts Recipes to have on hand for casual snacks. Sometimes I package these for gifts for neighbours and friends.
This year, I decided to try something different. I discovered this recipe for spicy pretzel and nut mix from David Leibowitz, first published in 2006, that has obviously withstood the test of time.
❤️ Why you'll love this holiday snack mix recipe
It's delightfully addictive! This party food is delightfully addictive, but a small handful of this gluten-free snack mix totally satisfies.
Makes a great gift! This snack mix of sweet and spicy pretzels and nuts makes a welcome hostess gift, teacher gift, or a nut mix to have on hand for your own snacking.
Gift tags included! Package this pretzel snack mix in small bags, and attach a gift tag! Scroll to the bottom of this post to download your free printable gift tags.
Here's what you'll need to make a batch of these sweet and spicy nuts and pretzels.
- mixed nuts: if you're using raw nuts, you'll roast them in the oven first. If you're using nuts that have already been roasted, you can skip this step.
- pretzel twists: choose gluten-free pretzels, if necessary.
- seasoning: butter, brown sugar (or coconut sugar) cinnamon, cayenne and maple syrup
- coarse salt: for sprinkling over the finished nut mix.
🥄 How to make this sweet and spicy snack mix recipe!
- Roast raw nuts in the oven.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup in a bowl.
- Add the roasted nuts and stir.
- Add pretzels and coarse salt.
Store this party mix at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks. You can freeze it for up to a month or so.
When you make this sweet and spicy snack mix, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance!
More party nut mix recipes to try
Sweet and Spicy Pretzel and Nut Snack Mix
- 2 cups mixed raw nuts, *or roasted nuts
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne * reduce to ¼ or ½ teaspoon for less spicy flavour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, or kosher salt
- 2 cups small pretzel twists (gluten-free pretzels, if necessary)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, stirring half way through. If you're using roasted nuts, you can skip this step.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup.
- Add the warm nuts, stirring to coat. Next add the pretzels and coarse salt, and stir until coated.
- Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for a further 12 - 18 minutes, stirring twice during cooking to ensure even toasting.
- Remove from oven, cool completely and separate the pieces. Store in an airtight container.
This time-tested party mix recipe is from David Leibowitz' Pretzel and Nut Mix
I have made this three times in the past month. The first time I burned the nuts. It still tasted good. The second time I didn't roast as long and didn't bake as long. Good, but still a little bit burnt. The third time, I toasted for 5 minutes. Then baked for 10. Perfect. This is the best spiced nuts recipe I have found.
Hi Liz, I admire your persistence! Thanks for sharing your baking times. Ovens can vary widely in temperature, so I'm glad you found the time that worked best for you. Happy to hear you liked this recipe. Thanks for the 5-star rating and for taking the time to comment.
These are delicious! Sweet and spicy at the same time!
Thanks Sandra! Easy to make, too!