This Sweet and Spicy Pretzel and Nut Snack Mix is a popular cocktail party snack to make and have on hand for holiday nibbling! Quick to make with mixed nuts, pretzels, and a slightly spicy and sweet glaze!
Having a bowl of sweet and spicy nuts on the coffee table during the holidays is Christmas tradition in many families, including mine!
Every holiday season, I make a big batch of Sweet and Spicy Rosemary Nuts or one of these 7 Holiday Spiced Nuts Recipes to have on hand for casual snacks. Sometimes I package these for gifts for neighbours and friends.
This year, I decided to try something different. I discovered this recipe for spicy pretzel and nut mix from David Leibowitz, first published in 2006, that has obviously withstood the test of time.
❤️ Why you'll love this holiday snack mix recipe
It's delightfully addictive! This party food is delightfully addictive, but a small handful of this gluten-free snack mix totally satisfies.
Makes a great gift! This snack mix of sweet and spicy pretzels and nuts makes a welcome hostess gift, teacher gift, or a nut mix to have on hand for your own snacking.
Gift tags included! Package this pretzel snack mix in small bags, and attach a gift tag! Scroll to the bottom of this post to download your free printable gift tags.
Here's what you'll need to make a batch of these sweet and spicy nuts and pretzels.
- mixed nuts: if you're using raw nuts, you'll roast them in the oven first. If you're using nuts that have already been roasted, you can skip this step.
- pretzel twists: choose gluten-free pretzels, if necessary.
- seasoning: butter, brown sugar (or coconut sugar) cinnamon, cayenne and maple syrup
- coarse salt: for sprinkling over the finished nut mix.
🥄 How to make this sweet and spicy snack mix recipe!
- Roast raw nuts in the oven.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup in a bowl.
- Add the roasted nuts and stir.
- Add pretzels and coarse salt.
Store this party mix at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks. You can freeze it for up to a month or so.
When you make this sweet and spicy snack mix, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance!
More party nut mix recipes to try
Sweet and Spicy Pretzel and Nut Snack Mix
- 2 cups mixed raw nuts, *or roasted nuts
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne * reduce to ¼ or ½ teaspoon for less spicy flavour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, or kosher salt
- 2 cups small pretzel twists (gluten-free pretzels, if necessary)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, stirring half way through. If you're using roasted nuts, you can skip this step.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup.
- Add the warm nuts, stirring to coat. Next add the pretzels and coarse salt, and stir until coated.
- Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for a further 12 - 18 minutes, stirring twice during cooking to ensure even toasting.
- Remove from oven, cool completely and separate the pieces. Store in an airtight container.
This time-tested party mix recipe is from David Leibowitz' Pretzel and Nut Mix