These Chicken Taco Stuffed Mini Peppers make an ideal appetizer or a healthy kid-sized snack. Mini bell peppers stuffed with taco-seasoned ground meat and melted cheese topped with avocado cream are a tasty game-day snack!
❤️Why you'll love these stuffed mini peppers
- Fun to eat! Stuffed pepper recipes like these Make Ahead Spicy Stuffed Mini Peppers or these Sun-dried Tomato, Artichoke and Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers with Italian flavors are fun finger foods!
- Tex-Mex flavors appeal to all ages. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, chimichangas, quesadillas . . . these are all dishes we crave. And who doesn't love good old nachos and seven-layer dip?
- Lower carbs, gluten-free, and easy to make dairy-free. Sometimes, however, we don't want the tortillas and extra carbs that these recipes often call for. These chicken taco-stuffed mini peppers are the answer!
- Game day snack: They're a healthier game-day snack and a tasty meal for the pint-sized people in your home.
- Flavor! These have all the elements of great Tex-Mex flavors: ground meat, spicy taco seasoning, warm melted cheesy goodness, and avocados, too.
🛒 Ingredients for Tex-Mex mini peppers
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with quantities in the recipe card below. Here are a few notes about the key ingredients:
- ground chicken: or ground turkey or ground beef, or substitute plant-based ground meat.
- taco seasoning: use my easy homemade taco seasoning mix
- cheese: keep this recipe dairy-free by using vegan cheese or sheep's cheese like Manchego, or use your favorite cheese.
- mini bell peppers: these usually come in a bag in a variety of colors.
- avocado cream: made with an avocado, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, oil and vinegar
Feel free to adapt this for your family. Change the meat to ground turkey or beef, or change the cheese to your favorite type. These stuffed mini peppers will still be delicious!
Make it vegan: Use plant-based ground meat, and vegan cheese.
- Split the peppers and remove the seeds and white pith.
- Brown the meat in oil in a skillet.
- Combine the cooked meat with chopped peppers, taco seasoning and cornstarch mixture. Continue to cook.
- Stuff the pepper halves.
- Bake in the oven while you blend the avocado cream.
- Top with cheese of your choice,
- Drizzle with avocado cream and serve!
Easy to make and guaranteed to disappear from your serving tray quickly!
Taco Stuffed Mini Peppers
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 3 tablespoon homemade Taco Seasoning Mix or 1 pkg. store bought
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 16 mini peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- ½ large avocado or 1 small avocado, skin and seed removed
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Slice ⅓ of the more curved side of each pepper off (so that they will sit nicely on a plate). Finely chop the third that you sliced off and reserve for later. You'll be adding this into the meat mixture.
- Seed the peppers.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground meat and reserved peppers for 5 -7 minutes or until meat is browned. Drain if necessary. Stir in the taco seasoning mix.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate small bowl and add to the meat mixture. Cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Fill each pepper with the taco meat mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes.
- While peppers are baking, make the Avocado Cream. Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Remove peppers from oven and top with shredded cheese. Return to oven for 1 - 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Place on serving platter and drizzle with Avocado Cream.