This dairy-free avocado crema is a dip, it's a dressing, it's a topping for tacos! This easy blender recipe for avocado cream sauce is Keto, vegan, paleo and Whole30-friendly.
❤️ Why you'll love this avocado cream sauce recipe
- Versatile! Here's a recipe that you can use as a dressing or a dip or a sauce! Drizzle it on salads, tacos, quesadillas, fajitas and enchiladas or use it as a sandwich or spread for chicken burgers.
- An easy blender recipe! It's quick and easy to whip up and you can store it in your fridge to use throughout the week.
- Dairy-free! Avocado crema is usually made with sour cream or Greek yogurt, but this dairy-free version turns out just as creamy. Avocado crema without sour cream? Yes! You just have to try it to believe it!
❓What is avocado crema?
Yes! Avocado crema (or cream) is a creamy dressing or dip that is usually made with sour cream. Lighter versions are made with Greek yogurt. It's similar to guacamole, but it has a perfectly smooth texture.
Avocado cream is an American adaptation of traditional Mexican crema which is the Mexican equivalent of sour cream. It's thick and rich and it's designed to tone down the heat in spicy Mexican dishes.
Avocado cream sauce, on the other hand, uses avocados to provide a wonderfully rich creamy texture. Cilantro, garlic and lime make it deliciously addictive.
This recipe I'm sharing today is another adaptation. It replaces the sour cream with oil to make this a dairy-free avocado crema. You won't notice the difference!
🛒 Ingredients for avocado cream sauce
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. But before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about some of the key ingredients.
- cilantro: you'll need 2 cups, loosely packed.
- avocado: 1 large ripe one. Don't try to make a smooth creamy sauce with an avocado that's not quite ripe! One of the best features of this dip is that it is silky smooth.
- lime: You'll need the juice from one lime. Roll it on the counter to burst the individual segments to help them release their juice or try these other tips to juice a lime. Bottled lime juice will work in a pinch, but for the best flavour, use a fresh lime.
- garlic: 2 cloves. Fresh garlic is so much better than powdered garlic in this recipe!
- oil: I like to use avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- vinegar: You can use apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar.
- kosher salt: Just a little to bring out the flavour in the other ingredients.
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this avocado cream sauce recipe perfectly.
Remove the pit of the avocado. Add the avocado flesh, cilantro, fresh lime juice, roughly chopped garlic, vinegar and salt to a food processor or blender.
Don't add the oil yet. Process until well blended.
Slowly pour the oil through the top chute and continue blending until emulsified. Transfer the avocado cream to a serving dish and serve immediately.
🔁 Possible Variations
If you don't need this recipe to be dairy-free, you can omit the oil and add ½ cup sour cream.
To make this a vegan avocado crema recipe, replace the oil with vegan sour cream. Blend until smooth.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
If you plan to serve it later, press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the sauce to prevent it from turning brown. Cover it with an airtight lid and refrigerate it. The lime juice does help to prevent the sauce from turning brown.
I like to keep mine in a squeeze bottle so I can drizzle it on salads, burritos, tacos and more.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This creamy avocado sauce is delicious on baked potatoes, roasted vegetables or even as a dip for raw veggies! Serve it with all your favourite Mexican recipes. I like it with:
- Classic Spinach Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Chicken Fajita Bowl with Cauliflower Rice
- Shrimp Fajita Salad
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Vegan Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
⏰ Storage Instructions
Stored tightly covered in the fridge, this creamy avocado dip will last for up to a week. If it separates, just give it a stir.
🗒 More recipes for sauces and dips
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Dairy-Free Avocado Crema
- 2 cups cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 large avocado, ripe
- 1 medium lime (juice of)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- Put all ingredients except oil in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly pour the oil through the top and blend until emulsified.
- Cover and refrigerate if you're not going to serve it right away.
This recipe has been updated with new photos, information and instructions.