This Berry Salad is made with strawberries, blackberries or blueberries, raspberries, feta cheese (or goat cheese) and toasted almonds is perfect for a potluck, deck party or any occasion. A fresh and healthy mixed green salad with berries and a creamy balsamic dressing that always gets devoured!
This Berry Salad is a classic recipe that everyone seems to love. With a creamy balsamic vinaigrette, a smattering of feta cheese and a few crunchy toasted almonds, it makes a complete lunch or a delicious side salad. And it's keto-friendly!
Lately I've focused on including more berries in my diet, as they are such a powerhouse of nutrition. Strawberry season is on the horizon and the hummingbirds are already fighting over the blossoms on the raspberry bushes in the garden. Next up on my list of salads to make will be one of my favourites: Strawberry Cucumber Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing!
Berries are so easy to add to a salad.
They make a great contrast in colour and texture when tossed with mixed lettuce and kale. They're delicious added to smoothies and shakes as well. When baked in these Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal Cups and served with kefir or yogurt, they round out a delicious breakfast.
❓Why should I eat more berries?
- Berries are a low-sugar fruit, so they're better for stabilizing your blood sugar levels than high-sugar fruit like grapes or pineapple.
- They're an excellent source of fiber so they'll keep you feeling full and help improve your digestion.
- Their bright colour shows they're loaded with antioxidants to boost your immune system.
- Berries are full of essential vitamins and minerals.
- They're so versatile. Berries are delicious in both sweet and savory recipes.
Convinced? Let's make this healthy Triple Berry Mixed Green Salad!
greens: your choice of mixed lettuce and kale
red onion: tangy onion makes a nice contrast to the sweet berries
berries: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or blueberries
feta cheese: or goat cheese
sliced almonds: for extra crunch
For the dressing: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Greek yogurt, honey, Dijon mustard, shallot, and garlic
You'll find complete directions in the recipe card below. Here's a quick overview and helpful tips to make this salad perfectly every time!
Begin by making the dressing. Shake the dressing ingredients together in a Mason jar, or use a blender or an immersion blender to combine them. This dressing will stay emulsified for 30 minutes or longer.
The yogurt is optional, but it makes a creamy dressing and tempers the tang of the balsamic vinegar. If you'd like a thinner dressing, add a couple of teaspoons of water.
Wash and dry the greens. Massage the kale leaves as described in the box below.
Add the greens and red onion to a shallow bowl.
Arrange the berries, cheese and toasted flaked almonds on top. Serve with dressing on the side.
👍🏼 Tip: How to massage kale
Begin by removing the leaves from the stems either by slicing them out with a knife or running your fingers along the stem to strip off the leaves. Discard or compost the stems as they are tough and fibrous.
Then finely chop the kale leaves and transfer them to a bowl. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and lemon juice. Massage with your fingers for 3 - 5 minutes, making sure all the leaves get your special touch!
Once the leaves seem to be softer and slightly wilted, add the remaining salad ingredients.
Taking the time to prepare the kale this way will make a big difference to your salad.
Colour, texture, salty feta and naturally sweet berries make this berry salad recipe a keeper!
⭐️ When you make this mixed green salad with berries, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
🗒 More healthy salad recipes
Triple Berry Mixed Green Salad
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped or use baby kale
- 1 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup strawberries, halved or sliced if large
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup feta cheese, or goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 ½ tablespoon quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon honey, or Monkfruit with erythritol for Keto diet
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Wash kale leaves and remove center rib. Finely chop and transfer to a medium bowl. Massage with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice for 3 - 5 minutes or until it has started to wilt.
- Massage the kale leaves with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice for 3 - 5 minutes or until they start to wilt.
- Add remaining washed and dried mixed greens and red onion. Arrange berries, cheese and toasted almonds on top.
- Shake the Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing ingredients in a Mason jar or combine with a blender. Serve on the side.