Follow these 3 easy steps to make cauliflower rice, a healthy low-carb alternative to rice. Paleo, Whole30, Low-Carb, Keto and Vegan!
Spanish cauliflower rice, cilantro lime cauliflower rice, cauliflower rice with sautéed peppers and herbs--here are 3 easy steps to make cauliflower rice that you can season the way you like!
I love this rice alternative so much, I added another flavour choice to this recipe (originally published in 2016) and bumped it up so you can enjoy it, too!
Cauliflower rice, cauliflower couscous--what you call it doesn't really matter. It's simply raw cauliflower finely chopped in a food processor, or grated by hand, until it has the consistency of rice or couscous.
It takes only a few minutes to cook and you can combine it with a variety of herbs or vegetables to enhance the flavour. It provides a surprisingly delicious alternative to rice for those who are avoiding grains.
With only 25 calories per 100 grams (as compared to 140 calories for the same amount of rice) it's a healthy low-carb alternative suitable for paleo diets. Not only that, but cauliflower is packed full of nutrients and is a particularly good source of Vitamin C.
3 easy steps to make cauliflower rice:
1. chop into florets
2. pulse in food processor
3. freeze for later or cook right away
And it's fluffy! It's not the soggy cauliflower your mom used to smother with cheese sauce to make it palatable. Simply add it to a skillet in which you've heated a tablespoon of oil, stir to coat, let it dry out a little, then cover and let it cook for 5 minutes or so or until it's tender and no longer tastes raw. Season with sea salt (smoked salt is particularly good) and pepper and serve.
Or try it with a squeeze of lime juice and some chopped cilantro.
Make it Spanish style!
Or sauté some peppers and herbs in the skillet before adding the cauliflower. Delish!
Once I discovered these 3 easy steps to make cauliflower rice, I served it with several of our favourite chicken dishes that I had previously served with Thai Coconut Rice. Replacing a high-carb with a low-carb is always fine by me, especially when it tastes as good as this!
Cauliflower rice also freezes well. Just chop it finely in a food processor or grate it by hand, store it in an air-tight container and pop it in the freezer for one of those busy weeknight dinners. When I find cauliflower on sale, I buy a few heads, process it and freeze it in 2 cup portions.
Have fun creating your own flavour combinations!
3 Easy Steps to Make Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 - 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
OR Cauliflower Rice with sautéd peppers and onions
- 1 or 2 green onions, or fresh herbs, finely chopped
- ¼ cup to ½ finely chopped bell pepper
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
OR Spanish Style Cauliflower Rice
- med shallot, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Remove leaves and tough inner core from cauliflower with a sharp knife.
- Roughly chop cauliflower into florets and place in food processor.
- Pulse until it has the consistency of rice or couscous.
- Freeze for later use at this point or cook, as follows:
- Heat oil in a skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- Add cauliflower, stir to coat with oil and release some of the moisture.
- Cover and cook for up to 5 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and no longer tastes raw.
- To make Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice: Add cilantro and lime juice and cook for a minute or two more without a lid.
- OR If using the bell peppers and onions , sauté these in the skillet first before adding the cauliflower. Cook until cauliflower is tender and no longer tastes raw.
- OR to make Spanish style, sauté 1 medium shallot in 1 tsp oil until transparent, add 1 clove minced garlic, 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, 2 Tbsp water (or just enough to thin the paste). Add cauliflower and cook over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat. Add 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro, 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes and serve immediately.
Now that you know how to make it, try this popular paleo recipe:
or serve with these 4 -Ingredient Honey Lime Chili Chicken Thighs
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.