This recipe for Thai Coconut Rice is an easy make-ahead dish. Cooked in coconut milk, it has a subtle coconut flavour that goes well with Asian or Thai food.
This rice? It is NOT just rice. This is Thai Coconut rice that won’t fail you by turning into a sticky mess. I like to serve this rice with Thai dishes, but it is good with just about anything.
It has a subtle coconut flavour and it always seems to turn out perfectly. It also freezes well, so you may wish to double the recipe and freeze half for another meal.
Ingredients you will need to make Thai Coconut Rice
- jasmine rice
- coconut milk: canned
- coconut oil: or any oil
- unsweetened shredded coconut
This reliable rice dish is the perfect accompaniment to my stove-top Mango Chicken or Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken recipes. I also serve it with my Baked Lemon Chicken, my Honey Mustard Chicken with Turmeric and these yummy Grilled Turmeric Chicken Kabobs.
The toasted coconut on top is totally optional but it makes it look even more appealing!
Made with fragrant Jasmine rice and cooked in coconut milk, this Thai Coconut Rice hasn’t failed me yet!
Thai Coconut Rice
- 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice
- 2 cups good-quality canned coconut milk* see note below
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 heaped tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil or vegetable oil,
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp toasted coconut for garnish
- Lightly oil the bottom of a deep-sided pot that has a tight-fitting lid.
- Place rice, coconut milk, water, shredded coconut, and salt in the pot and set over medium-high to high heat. Stir occasionally to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the coconut-water has begun to gently bubble, stop stirring and reduce heat to simmer. Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes, or until you’re ready to eat.
- When ready to serve, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork. Season with salt if needed. Top with a sprinkling of toasted coconut.
- To toast coconut: Place 1 Tablespoon shredded coconut in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir until light golden brown.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.