This Chimichurri Chicken Dinner Salad features deliciously bold flavours from easy-to-make Chimichurri dressing. Juicy tender chicken, creamy avocado and mixed greens make this a quick 30-minute meal! It's a low-carb, keto, paleo and Whole30-friendly recipe.
Chimichurri Chicken Dinner Salad! A quick and easy meal that's welcome at any time of year.
This chicken dinner salad is full of the incredible flavours of Chimichurri sauce! It's bold, it's beautiful and best of all it's a 30-minute meal. And . . . it's paleo, keto and Whole30-friendly, too!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Amazing flavour! The first time I had Chimichurri sauce was at an Argentinian restaurant. Typically, it was served on copious amounts of steak which the servers presented to our table on swords! All I could think of was, "Chimichurri, where have you been all my life?" Made with fresh herbs, garlic and oil, it adds a bright, slightly spicy flavour to meat or vegetables.
- Quick and easy to make! Since then, I've discovered it's very easy to make at home. I've also found that it's a great way to kick up flavours on many other dishes besides beef!
- It's a great make-ahead, low-carb recipe!
- Delicious on meaat, shrimp, salmon or veggies, too! I love it on roasted root vegetables or Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes and on these 10-minute Chimichurri Shrimp Skewers and on this Air Fryer Chimichurri Salmon. Today, however, that flavourful sauce dressed up chicken breasts in this chicken dinner salad.
- Who doesn't love two for one? This Chimichurri sauce doubles as a marinade AND a dressing. So easy.
🛒 Ingredients Notes
Are you convinced yet that you need to make this salad? Here's what you'll need to make this chimichurri chicken salad"
- chicken breasts: boneless, skinless. Thighs will work too.
- chimichurri sauce: see the ingredients in the recipe card below
- bell peppers: 2 red bell peppers, one for the Chimichurri (optional), one for the salad
- greens: your favourite mixed greens
- other salad veggies: cucumber, red pepper, red cabbage, or substitute other colourful in-season veggies
- avocado: a must!
You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below.
- Start by making the chimichurri sauce before cooking the chicken. You'll be surprised at just how quick and easy this intensely flavoured sauce is to make!
- Next, marinate the chicken in a few tablespoons of the chimichurri sauce for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare the salad greens and other veggies, then cook the chicken breasts in a skillet.
- Slice the chicken breasts, arrange the veggies and chicken in a bowl. Slice an avocado to add to your bowl, then drizzle with the reserved chimichurri sauce and serve!
👍🏼 Tips for making Chimichurri Chicken Dinner Salad
- Making Chimichurri sauce is a snap in a food processor. Roughly chop the sauce ingredients before adding them to the bowl of your food processor, then pulse to chop. Leave it a little chunky.
- When cooking the chicken, keep the heat on medium. If your pan is too hot, the herbs in the sauce may scorch. You can prevent scorching by making sure you start with enough oil in the skillet.
- Serve this salad with warm chicken or with cold, your choice!
- Double the recipe and portion out the extras for lunch for the following day.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- Substitute fresh tomatoes for red pepper.
- Add red onion for extra zing.
Enjoy this light, but totally satisfying meal!
More chicken salads to try
Chimichurri Chicken Dinner Salad
Chimichurri Marinade and Dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, packed
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Chicken Dinner Salad
- 2 medium chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 5 to 6 cups mixed fresh greens, washed and dried
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium Long English cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
- Roughly chop garlic and shallot. Combine with red wine vinegar and lemon juice and set aside.
- Add parsley, basil, cilantro, red bell pepper, coriander and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to roughly chop. Add garlic and shallot mixture.
- With machine running on low, slowly add olive oil in a thin stream until well-incorporated. Take care not to chop too finely. The Chimichurri sauce should be slightly chunky. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Put chicken breasts in a shallow dish and brush 1 to 2 tablespoons Chimichurri sauce on each. Save the remaining Chimichurri sauce to use as dressing. Let the chicken marinate for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Wash and dry salad greens, dice red pepper, slice cucumber and cabbage. Arrange in salad bowl or on individual plates or shallow bowls.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add chicken breasts. Cook on each side for 5 minutes, watching carefully and adjusting the heat if necessary to prevent scorching the herbs in the Chimichurri sauce. Cook until no longer pink inside or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
- Remove to a cutting board and let rest for a few minutes before slicing on the diagonal.
- Slice avocado, add to salad along with the sliced chicken. Drizzle with reserved Chimichurri dressing and serve.