This Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad will keep everyone around your dinner table happy. Bursting with the flavours of the Southwest, you can easily customize it to include your family's favourite ingredients.
Do you have picky eaters in your family? Do you ever wonder what to serve your guests when you don't know their likes or dislikes? Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad to the rescue! This meal solves all my problems when I'm choosing what to make for a healthy dinner.
With allergies, food sensitivities and special diets, it can sometimes be difficult to serve a one-size-fits-all dinner. Letting your guests or family members create their own salad has been my lifesaver for this problem. I offer all the ingredients, either on a big platter or in separate serving dishes and invite my guests to dig in.
I use this same strategy when I make Family Style Greek Cobb Salad. It makes everyone feel comfortable and allows them to stick with their special diet.
How to Make Chopped Chicken Salad
Start with a big bowl of chopped romaine, or add other greens as well.
Offer taco-seasoned chicken, black beans, corn, red onion, avocado, tomatoes, and Monterey Jack cheese.
Add different crisp vegetables like peppers and cucumbers, if you like.
If you know of allergies ahead of time, you can also substitute a non-dairy cheese.
Put out a bowl of rice chips as well as taco chips. Your vegetarian friends can skip the chicken, vegans can also skip the cheese.
Offer cilantro and dressing on the side for those who choose to avoid it. This healthy Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad keeps everyone happy!
Tossing the salad with a lime vinaigrette adds a ton of flavour while keeping it fresh and light. Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients first so the flavours can blend while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Chop the chicken into bite-sized cubes, toss with a teaspoon or so of oil and season with my homemade Taco Seasoning Mix before browning it in a skillet.
Once the chicken is cooked, set it aside and prepare the other vegetables.
All the ingredients in this taco salad can be made in advance, giving you more time to spend with your friends, instead of rushing around in the kitchen.
Kids can often be picky eaters as they're learning about different textures and flavours. I've found that they love this taco flavour and like these easy Taco Chicken Wings or Strips and Taco Stuffed Peppers, too.
Next time you're faced with the problem of satisfying everyone's likes and dislikes, try this Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad.
Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed
- 2 teaspoon oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 4 - 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels, (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 1 cup chopped avocado, tossed in 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, low-fat, shredded
- taco chips
- lime wedges and fresh cilantro for garnish
- ¼ cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1½ tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ small shallot, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon each sea salt and pepper
- Toss chicken with oil, and then with taco seasoning mix.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add chicken and cook for 10 - 15 minutes turning to brown on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except taco chips in a large bowl. Add cooked chicken and toss salad with vinaigrette. Serve with taco chips.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.