Serve these Broiled Italian Tomatoes with Garlic and Herbs as a delicious side dish. Quick, low-carb, Keto, Paleo and dairy-free.
Full of the flavours of sunny Tuscany, these Broiled Italian Tomatoes make an easy, healthy side dish for your favourite grilled meats or vegetables. Cooked quickly under the broiler, then drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar, this tomato recipe is dairy-free and low-carb.
I use this recipe to dress up garden-fresh summer tomatoes when we have an abundance. It also works well with those winter tomatoes that are less than tasty (you know the ones!) Adding pungent herbs and roasted garlic heightens the naturally sweet flavour of tomatoes.
A short list of ingredients for this recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need to make these Broiled Italian Tomatoes
- tomatoes: I used 6 Campari tomatoes. They’re naturally sweet and never mealy.
- herbs: fresh is always best! I used rosemary, oregano and thyme. Marjoram would also be good, or try tarragon.
- garlic: fresh
- olive oil: extra virgin, of course
- sea salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar: the best you can afford!
Easy Steps to Make Italian Tomatoes
First, slice the tomatoes in half through their equator and arrange in a baking dish, cut side up.
Next, thinly slice the garlic cloves and mince the fresh herbs.
In a small skillet over medium heat, make garlic-infused oil. Heat the oil gently, then add the sliced garlic. After one minute, add 2 tablespoons of the herbs and cook just until the garlic begins to brown. Remove from the heat and drizzle over the tomatoes.
Sprinkle the remaining fresh herbs over the tomatoes.
Broil for 7-10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
And finally, drizzle these warm broiled tomatoes with aged balsamic vinegar and serve!
Tomatoes are Keto-friendly!
We try to eat tomatoes year-round. They’re an excellent source of lycopene, an antioxidant linked to lowered risk of cancer and heart disease. Tomatoes are a low-carb fruit (although we treat them like a vegetable) and are recommended for those on a keto diet.
Even though tomatoes available in the winter months aren’t as tasty, this recipe adds the flavours we’re missing!
These low-carb Keto Broiled Italian Tomatoes make a perfect side dish for any of the following:
Broiled Italian Tomatoes with Garlic and Herbs
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes Campari or other flavourful tomato variety
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/4 cup mixed Italian herbs rosemary, oregano, thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar good quality aged
- Slice tomatoes in half through their equator and arrange in a baking dish.
- Peel garlic cloves and slice them thinly. Mince the herbs and divide in two.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat oil gently, then add sliced garlic. After one minute, add 2 tablespoons of the herbs and cook just until the garlic begins to brown.
- Remove from heat and drizzle the garlic-herb infused oil over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the remaining fresh herbs over the tomatoes and broil for 7-10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
Love Italian flavours? You might also like these recipes.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.